Can a Laser Stimulate Hair Growth in Women with Thin Hair?

I have been reading about a product called the HairMax LASER comb. Its technology was developed in 2006 by an Australian company called Lexington. The combs cost between $500 and $600. Could this product also alleviate scalp psoriasis? I am approved to receive a doctor-administered psoriasis treatment called the XTRAC Excimer LASER but don't live close to a doc who has one. I know the LASER comb wouldn't help psoriasis on other areas of my body but was wondering if it might on my scalp while also promoting hair growth.

Laser Hair Comb May Help But Won't Hurt

+1

Unfortunately there are no published studies to show that LLLT (low level laser light therapy) works compared to placebo. There are several small series which demonstrated an improvement with the use of LLLT but they were small and not well controlled - did not compare the results to doing nothing. The HairMax LaserComb is FDA cleared to say that it increases hair growth. This means that they had to present a study with comparison to placebo to show that the LLLT device meets the claims. This is the only device which has FDA approval to say it does increase hair growth. Unfortunately, the study which was submitted to the FDA has not been published or available for public review.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Laser May Work for Women or in General. It is Unclear

+1

So far no studies have been definitive about if the laser comb works or not to regrow hair in a woman or anyone for that matter. I personally believe that the results are not clear. However, you may have success with it. I think that in women with thin hair you have to do the proper work up including a blood panel for thyroid, iron/ferritin, DHEAS, ANA, etc.

Here is a video on female hair loss that you might find helpful.

best,

sml

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.