Can Laser Liposuction Be Combined with a Tummy Tuck?

Laser Liposuction with Tummy Tuck Requires Caution

+2

The general teaching is that Liposuction of any kind should not be done with a full Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty. Tummy Tuck removes the Abdominal Skin from much of its Blood Supply and Liposuction may damage some of the blood vessels that are supplying the Abdominal Skin.

However it is very common to use Liposuction to treat the flanks and "Muffin Top" during the course of a Tummy Tuck.

I frequently do use Laser Liposuction to treat the upper Abdomen above the Umbilicus (Belly Button) when only a Mini Tummy Tuck or Lower Tummy Tuck is done, as the Blood Vessels and supply to the upper Abdomen are left intact.

The key important factor is for you to find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who knows how to safely do these procedures.But as a general rule any type of Liposuction must be very carefully used, and preferable only in the course of a Mini or Lower Tummy Tuck.

Laser Liposuction Combination

+1

Laser Liposuction can be combined with tummy tuck.  Patient selection is key.  In some cases, it is better to do the procedures in stages.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Laser liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Avoid laser liposuction, you risk results like the ones you see in the weblink below.

Yes, you can do lipo with tummy tuck safely if you do a Lockwood type tummy tuck.

Check out the video below for a little primer on the different kids of lipo

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Laser liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Liposcution can be combined with abdominoplasty is some settings. I prefer to avid liposuction of the central undermined flap and will only do the hips. If the patients needs central liposuction I will stage it.

Laser Lipo and Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction can be performed with Tummy Tuck. You can also do LIPO-ABDOMINOPLASTY.

Laser Lipo is very new with very little scientific peer reviewed paper on its efficacy and safety with Tummy Tuck.

Lipo and Tummy tuck not recommended

+1

There are position statements by our national society in plastic surgery that indciate situations that lead to increased comlications. One is to perform more than 5000cc of liposuction in a single setting, another is to combine other procedures with tummy tuck, particularly liposuction. Your surgeon will advise you as to what is the best and SAFEST way to procede. There are some instances where it is warranted and or weighing the risk or cost of having another anesthesia. OR visit.

Barry E. DiBernardo, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with tummy tuck

+1

The real question here is not laser lipo but lipo and tummy tuck combined. Performing an aggressive tummy tuck and lipo can lead to major problems with wound healing. I always perform my abdominoplasties under general or spinal anesthetic due to the muscle repair required.

There are occasions where I use superfical liposuction above the fascia with a limited undermining dissection up to the xiphoid. I reserve this procedure for the right patient but have no problem doing lipo and a mini tummy tuck. I see no advantage of the laser lipo other than increasing cost and risk to the patient.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cool Lipo with Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes indeed! I offer a new and very innovative technique that combines laser assisted Cool Lipo AND an Abdominoplasty at the same time. This procedure is revolutionary and so exciting for a number of reasons:

1.) It is done entirely under local anesthesia with light sedation - NO GENERAL ANESTHESIA!! There are no complications associated with general anesthesia and this is a HUGE improvement for our patient's recovery.

2.) The addition of Cool Lipo Body Sculpting offered with a tummy tuck allows me to not only deal with the sagging skin and fat of the lower abdomen, but also allows me to really get into the lower back and flanks as well. This allows me to literally sculpt and shape like never before! Liposuction takes time to be done correctly. Because I can use local anesthesia on this procedure, I can take my time and really sculpt the body with the Cool Lipo Laser device BEFORE I do the actual abdominoplasty part of the surgery.

Moreover, because the sedation is not general, I am able to move the patient as I need in order to truly assess the liposuction results from every angle. With a patient entirely unconscious (as in general anesthesia), this is nearly impossible.

3.) Using the Cool Lipo, we see the added benefit of skin tightening along with faster healing time. Our patients walk out of our office. They are moving and walking (albeit a bit slower than before) from the very first day of recovery. Our patients are moving at a normal pace with a spring in their step in about 10 days on average.

4.) The practicality of this procedure is also immense in terms of recovery time and cost. I see consultations regularly that have already had a tummy tuck and are dissatisfied with the end result. The actual abdominoplasty may be fine, but they are unsatisfied with the lack of shape and definition of their lower abdomen.

It is very common for those patients to end up having body Liposuction AFTER the tummy tuck to achieve the desired result. With a Cool Lipo and Tummy tuck, all is accomplished in one procedure. One recovery time and one cost and a big savings on time as well.

I'm very excited to offer this new and innovative approach to the tradition abdominoplasty.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon