Can Jowls Come Back After a Lower Face/neck Lift?

Is it true that jowls can reappear just a few years after a lower face/neck lift? i know a few women to whom this has happened. They are older than I am, and had more jowling to begin with. I am not yet 50 with very little jowling and neck skin. Can I hope for a longer lasting result?

How long it lasts depends on the cause of the jowls, sagging or fat bulging

+7

This is a great question.  Of course, we know that facelifts don't last forever, and the face will continue to age over time.  But you bring up an excellent point, which is important for people considering facelifts to understand prior to having a face and/or necklift surgery.

Why do facelifts last longer on some people and shorter on other people?

If a regular layperson understood what exactly a facelift is for, they may be able to better predict how long the facelift will last independent of the plastic surgeon selling them the procedure.

What is a facelift good for?

A facelift procedure is best used for "sagging" or deflation of the face, which is causing "excess" skin to sag below the jawline and the cheeks to also sag down the face.  When the lower face and cheeks are lifted upwards, there is excess skin which is removed along the incision and the face looks cleaner and the jawline looks smoother.  Essentially the facelift "takes the slack out."

When does a facelift not work as well?

There are some people who appear to have squaring of the jawline and "jowls."  However, upon closer inspection, these people may actually have full fatty bulges, and/or loss of bone structure or a "pointy chin" which both can appear to create jowls on either side of the chin.

If a person has "fatty jowls" and a full face with very few wrinkles and minimal to no "sagging" to speak of, mainly because their face is full, then a lower facelift may not last more than a couple of years or less for these people.  Why?  When the facelift is performed, the skin is tightened and it can flatten out the jowls because the skin is tighter.  However, over time as the skin relaxes, the full fatty jowls will restretch out the skin and the jowls will reappear.  Weight loss prior to face lift surgery is very important for these people.  A minimum of 15-20 lbs of weight loss will begin to show some facial deflation and some sagging of the cheeks and jawline.  If the patient can reach their ideal weight and maintain it, then the facelift should last the 7 years plus or minus a couple of years, that we want our patients to have.  

Bottom line is that patient selection is important when choosing the best candidates for a facelift who will both have a natural result but also a long lasting one.  If the surgeon is looking to operate on as many patients as possible, then some patients who are not good candidates will inevitably get operated on, and their results will be suboptimal, even though the surgeon performed the exact same steps for a face lift on the nice result as they did on the sub-optimal result.

Patient selection is the key.

Dr. Yang

Lower facelift is a no-man procedure

+6

A necklift does great things for the neck and modestly improves the jowl.

A cheek lift or mid-face lift works on the cheeks and jowl.

The combination of the two is a facelift.

A lower facelift is the jowl without the cheek. The only problem is the jowl should be lifted vertically and that involves working with the cheek.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Lower facelift is not a good solution for jowls.

+6

A lower facelift by itself is not really a good solution for jowls.  The lower facelift deals with aesthetic issues below the angle of the jowls.  Although jowls descent below this angle, the originate above it.  Usually a full facelift is indicated to correct the neck, cheek, and jowls.

How to minimize jowls

+5

The facelift technique you have will directly influence how quickly the jowls come back. Stringlifts and Minilifts are the first to go. Deeper techniques with SMAS adjustments and aggressive platysmaplasties all help.

There is an inherent difference in the thickness of the jowl tissue vs. the tissue right in front of it. While this is minimized with the performance of deeper facelifting techniques, it is not eliminated. Volume restoration in front of this thicker area can help to minimize the appearance of jowls, in addition to pulling smartly.

Heavier patients with heavier jowls usually see them come back more quickly after even a skillfully performed facelift.

Patients who have large yo yo weight gains often literally undo their surgeries.

The balance of a well performed facelift is a delicate one. Most noted facelift surgeons will pull smartly, but never cause freakish distortion of the ears that results from the novice surgeon whose only goal is to defeat the jowls.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Treatment of jowls with a lower face or neck lift

+4

If done properly, a lower face or neck lift can produce a long lasting result. A lower facelift will identify the tissue that has sagged in the jowls and resuspend it to strong and firm tissue. This will create a clean jawline and a recontouring of lower face. You should expect this result to last for a minimum of 5 to 10 years. As you continue to age, all tissue will begin to sag. In time this area will sag along with the rest of your tissues.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Recurrence of jowls after lower neck lift is multifactoral

+4

After a facelift the skin can stretch again as we continue to age. Recurrence of jowls after a facelift is multifactorial, that is it will depend on your quality of skin(lax skin will stretch more,) the technique used(how much dissection and SMAS worked was performed and who is doing the procedure.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Yes, the jowls can return

+4

Regardless of what type of facelift you have had done, you will start aging the minute it is finished. This includes gravitational descent of the cheeks which causes jowling. If the first procedure really addresses this well, the result is going to be longer lasting. Other factors such as your skin elasticity and weight profile also affect the longevity of your result.

Even if you never do the surgery again, you should always look better than if you never had it done. Hopefully, if you do consider redoing it, you won't feel the need for 10 years but no guarantees can ever be made regarding this. Just be sure to go to an excellent Board Certified plastic surgeon and check out many results before deciding where to have your surgery done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

How does #DrMarcDuPere #Toronto plastic surgeon better adresses Jowls with a lower facelift?

+3

Thank you for your question Eva; it is an excellent one and will help many Realself customers with a little bit of clarification and education on the lower facelift technique.   

I am a 13-year experienced Toronto plastic surgeon and I trained with Drs Daniel Marchac and Gilbert Aiache in Paris, France and with Dr. Bruce Connell in Los Angeles. 

They are numerous techniques for #facelift and #necklift depending on your anatomy, your expectations and the surgeon's preferences; skin only versus muscle and skin - SMAS facelift - superficial versus deep planes, with or without fat grafting, short scar, MACS and traditional facelift, etc. 

The face refers to forehead, mid-face and neck, although most refer to a #facelift proper as adressing the mid-face and neck without the forehead.  Classic facelift addresses cheeks folds, jowls and neck bands and is done by lifting not only the skin but also the deeper muscle layers SMAS (see my blog for more details).  When I meet my patients in #Toronto and #Richmond Hill, I go over the pros and cons for those facelift and necklift techniques in details so you have a clear understanding.

A neck lift adresses the fat under the chin and the hanging muscle bands (aka chicken or turkey neck) with very minimal effect on the jowls.  That may explain why your friend has an early recurrence of the jowlings.

Now a lower facelift, in my hands, is a comprehensive necklift with an extended skin incision in front of the ear and a small SMAS lift; this will adress relatively well the jowls without the full facelift.  I call is also an extended neck lift. 

Yet, nothing will address better the jowls than the classic facelift, neckllift and SMAS dissection and vertical and posterior lift; this adds tremendously to the longevity of the results.  Fat grafting is highly beneficial for its #stemcell effect.

Keep in mind that no matter the procedure, aging is not stopped by a facial procedure...  Gravity, sun exposure, genetics and aging do go on...

I do discuss the SMAS and facelift technique on my blog: visageclinic.com/blog 

I hope this helps and it would be our pleasure to meet you at Visage Clinic in Toronto and Richmond Hill.

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon

Voted TOP plastic surgery Clinic in Toronto for 2013 and 2014

Voted TOP Cosmetic Clinic in Toronto for 2014

visageclinic.com/patient-resources/media.cfm

Marc DuPere, MD

Longevity of lower facelift

+3

This question is made difficult by the myriad factors that impact on the outcome of lower facelift surgery.  These include the quality of the tissues, the extent of the problem, facial shape, age at the time of surgery, the type of operation, and the fact that patients continue to age after the surgery.  As a rule of thumb,  the majority of patients are not symptomatic of their jowls for 7-10 years.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Treating jowels requires understanding the cause

+3

Yes, jowels can return. The key to preventing them is treating them correctly in the first place. I think surgeons often try to pull too hard during the facelift in an attempt to flatten or lift jowels. I think jowels are related to deflation, or loss of fat, both in the malar pad above them and pre-jowel area in front of them.

I have had good success treating them by performing fat grafting to the pre-jowel area to build it up. Often proper treatment of a descending malar (cheek) pad is needed and I like a mid-face lift for that. By adding these two procedures I have found reasonable results in improving jowels. Of course as the other surgeons have mentioned, aging continues on in spite of our best efforts to stop it. I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon