Can I Sunbathe After Fraxel Laser Treatments or Will my Skin Be Too Sensitive?

after fraxel re-store treatment how sensitive is to the sun? planning on doing the re-store treatment my main concern now is would I be able to sun bathing?

Editor's Note: Find out more about sensitive skin and Fraxel treatments here.

Laser treatments and sun bathing

+2

Any laser treatment will make your skin more susceptible to damage from the sun and sunbathing should be avoided until you've healed from the laser. 

Good sunscreen is the key to preventing skin cancer and aged looking skin in the future.

Get your sunbathing out of the way before your laser treatments

+2

It is counterintuitive to sun bathe after having treatments that correct sun damaged skin. I love to be outdoors and in the sun myself so I can appreciate your concerns. You risk post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (dark browning of your skin) if you sun bathe following Fraxel re:store treatments. You should wear daily sun block for at least 3 months following your treatment, use wide brimmed hats, and avoid sun exposure. Many patients delay their treatment until the fall and winter months to make staying out of the sun a bit easier. Some patients who have been successfully treated for melasma (brown pigment of pregnancy, hormones) have relapses after "sun vacations". It is best to avoid the sun after the Fraxel restore treatment in order to protect your investment in your skin's health. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel and sun

+1

You must stay out of the sun for at least 6 weeks after any laser treatment to prevent brown patches of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation from occurring.  Wear SPF 60 daily and reapply if you are outdoors, wear a hat and seek shade.  If you cannot comply, consider having your laser treatments during the winter months.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Tanning after Fraxel Treatment

+1

In general, excess exposure to the sun isn’t a good idea. Furthermore, doing this after a Fraxel treatment is more likely to lead to post-treatment hyperpigmentation, something you would not want to have.

David Goldberg, MD

Good idea not to sun bathe

+1

Unfortunately sun bathing causes skin damage, not only increasing your cancer risks but increasing your age spots and wrinkles too. Undergoing skin rejuvenation procedures such as Fraxel and others is meant to reverse some of the signs of skin damage. Sunbathing after skin rejuvenation almost certainly will negate any benefit you get from the treatment - you would simply be throwing your time and money down the drain. The other concern is that sun exposure after skin rejuvenation procedures can actually cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots) on the skin, making the aging process worse than before treatment. Consider either not sun bathing or not undergoing the Fraxel treatment - they will pretty much offset one another.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon