Wait Until After Pregnancy for Restylane?

I'm a 30-ish mother who plans to have another baby. I am seriously unhappy with the wrinkles around my eyes. I was considering having Restylane or some other type of facial injection to treat these lines. I don’t feel comfortable asking my physician if I should wait until after giving birth to give myself a wrinkle erasing.

Cosmetic injections before pregancy

+2

From your question it sounds like you are really wondering if someone as young as you should consider dermal fillers such as Restylane (It should be obvious that you wouldn't do anthing during pregnancy). If it is wrinkles around the eyes, Restylane is probably not the first option. Usually this area manifests "crow's feet" which are due to hyperactivity of the muscles around the eye. These respond very well to Botox or Dysport. You are younger than average for this but a consultation should sort it out.

As long as you are not pregnant now, it is fine to have Restylane.

+2

Hi!

1) You should not have any unnecessary medications or products while you are pregnant. But as I understand your question, you are planning to have a baby in the future.

2) In that case, it is safe to have fillers now.

3) Restylane may not be the best thing for you, so make sure you talk to a good dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

4) You should feel comfortable asking your doctor anything!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wait Until After Pregnancy for Restylane

+1

If the wrinkles around the eyes are bothering you, you should consider Botox or Dysport to relax the muscles around the eyes. Fillers in the eye area require a consultation and examination to see if you are a candidate. This should be done before your pregnancy, as it is not recommended for pregnant or breast feeding women. Restylane typically lasts about 6 months, other hyaluronic acid products can last up to 1 year. You don’t need to wait, you just need to select a product that will last throughout your pregnancy.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Pregnancy

+1

While it it is not recommended to take unnecessary medications while you are pregnant, restylane treatment can be done safely if you are just considering another child.  You should find a reputable injector who can honestly evaluate if you need a treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Filler before pregnancyi

+1
If you are unhappy with your face now and are not pregnant or trying to become pregnant, you can certainly have treatment with fillers at this time. However, you may be comfortable with Botox as well and should discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Up to you!

+1

To me, it sounds as if you are considering pregnancy but are not yet pregnant. Correct? If so then it is perfectly safe to have any injections NOW. But once you are pregnant you will not be able to repeat the injection until after you give birth.  My advice, enjoy it while you can, savor its benefits, have a baby, than start up again when the stress and wrinkles kick in! 

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and pregnancy

+1
While Restylane is made up of hyaluronic acid which is a natural occurring substance in the body I personally would not recommend any unnecessary procedures during pregnancy. For treatment of wrinkles around the eyes my treatment of choice would be using botox and not a filler. Botox as well as hyaluronic acid fillers should not be used during pregnancy but will be a nice treat for yourself when the nursing stage is over. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

If you are not currently pregnant or breast feeding then it is safe to have Restylane

+1

Restylane is a fantastic service. However, no cosmetic injections are proven to be safe while pregnant or breast feeding. So don't do it if this is the case. On the other hand, these treatments seem to be very safe so if you have service and soon there after get pregnant, there is no evidence that this is a problem.

The filler in Restylane is composed from Hyaluronic acid with occurs naturally in the body. Just don't ever expect that research studies will be performed to prove one way or the other that it is safe to be treatment while pregnant . People have had BOTOX while pregnant and in this very small study there were no problems. However, it is absolutely not recommended and no responsible physician would advise these cosmetic treatments knowing you were pregnant. Got it!

Fillers and pregnancy

+1

I assume you are not pregnant yet? If you are not, then it is safe to have fillers. I do not know of any studies suggesting that if you have fillers in your face before getting pregnant causes a problem.

No Fillers or Botox during pregnancy

+1

Restylane nor any other fillers have been studied for safety during pregnancy. Even though there might not be any risk involved with the injections, it is usually recommended not to risk your unborn child's safety and wait till after delivery.

On a different note, if you are concerned about your crows feet, the optimal treatment would be Botox which is also recommended to be done after you are done with your pregnancy!

Peyman Ghasri, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist