Wait Until After Pregnancy for Restylane?

I'm a 30-ish mother who plans to have another baby. I am seriously unhappy with the wrinkles around my eyes. I was considering having Restylane or some other type of facial injection to treat these lines. I don’t feel comfortable asking my physician if I should wait until after giving birth to give myself a wrinkle erasing.

As long as you are not pregnant now, it is fine to have Restylane.

Hi!

1) You should not have any unnecessary medications or products while you are pregnant. But as I understand your question, you are planning to have a baby in the future.

2) In that case, it is safe to have fillers now.

3) Restylane may not be the best thing for you, so make sure you talk to a good dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

4) You should feel comfortable asking your doctor anything!

Safe to do as long as you're not pregnant

Restylane is a human product and is therefore safe to do now, as long as you are not currently pregnant. Even during pregnancy it is probably fine, but there is no reason to do something that is unnecessary during pregnancy. However, I believe the problem you are describing would be better dealt with by a product such as Botox to relax the muscles causing the Crow's feet. Best of luck. 

David Rapaport, MD

Wait Until After Pregnancy for Restylane

If the wrinkles around the eyes are bothering you, you should consider Botox or Dysport to relax the muscles around the eyes. Fillers in the eye area require a consultation and examination to see if you are a candidate. This should be done before your pregnancy, as it is not recommended for pregnant or breast feeding women. Restylane typically lasts about 6 months, other hyaluronic acid products can last up to 1 year. You don’t need to wait, you just need to select a product that will last throughout your pregnancy.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Pregnancy

While it it is not recommended to take unnecessary medications while you are pregnant, restylane treatment can be done safely if you are just considering another child.  You should find a reputable injector who can honestly evaluate if you need a treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Up to you!

To me, it sounds as if you are considering pregnancy but are not yet pregnant. Correct? If so then it is perfectly safe to have any injections NOW. But once you are pregnant you will not be able to repeat the injection until after you give birth.  My advice, enjoy it while you can, savor its benefits, have a baby, than start up again when the stress and wrinkles kick in! 

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and pregnancy

While Restylane is made up of hyaluronic acid which is a natural occurring substance in the body I personally would not recommend any unnecessary procedures during pregnancy. For treatment of wrinkles around the eyes my treatment of choice would be using botox and not a filler. Botox as well as hyaluronic acid fillers should not be used during pregnancy but will be a nice treat for yourself when the nursing stage is over. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Cosmetic injections before pregancy

From your question it sounds like you are really wondering if someone as young as you should consider dermal fillers such as Restylane (It should be obvious that you wouldn't do anthing during pregnancy). If it is wrinkles around the eyes, Restylane is probably not the first option. Usually this area manifests "crow's feet" which are due to hyperactivity of the muscles around the eye. These respond very well to Botox or Dysport. You are younger than average for this but a consultation should sort it out.

Richard Baxter, MD

Consult with a specialist...

Your question raises several important issues regarding the use of Botox and dermal fillers. When these agents are utilized treatment needs to be individualized and based on the patient’s anatomic findings and aesthetic goals.
When treating crow’s feet, the best option isn’t’ Restylane, but instead Botox.Crow’s feet are the result of contractions of the orbicularis oculi muscles and for this reason Botox is a much better option than dermal fillers.
Obviously these treatments shouldn’t be undertaken during pregnancy, but there’s no need to wait until women have completed child bearing.Treatment should be individualized based on the patient’s specific needs.This has less to do with patients’ age and more to do with the patient’s anatomic findings.
If you’re considering treatment of facial wrinkles, it’s important to consult a specialist in this area.This specialist should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Restylane and pregnancy

If you are currently pregnant it's probably better to wait until after childbirth before getting treated. However, if you aren't pregnant then it's fine to proceed with your treatment. 

Filler before pregnancyi

If you are unhappy with your face now and are not pregnant or trying to become pregnant, you can certainly have treatment with fillers at this time. However, you may be comfortable with Botox as well and should discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Robert L. Kraft, MD