Teeth Whitening and Pregnancy?

in my first trimester of pregnancy and hate my stained teeth.  is tooth whitening safe?

Use at your own risk

+2

While it is likely safe, there are no studies or proof that it is safe to use during pregnancy.  If you whiten, you are using the product "off label" and risking the health of your unborn child.

You only have a few months to wait before there is zero risk, so most doctors would encourage waiting.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth whitening and pregnancy

+1

The first trimester of pregnancy is the most important and usually all dental procedures are avoided, even cleaning till the second trimester. The procedures like teeth whitening should be completely avoided during full time of pregnancy. It can affect the saliva content, the mineralization of the teeth, cause sensitivity. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

No whitening during pregnancy

+1

Although there is no evidence that whitening teeth while pregnant will affect the developing baby, it is best to postpone the whitening procedure until a woman is no longer pregnant and not breastfeeding.   Healthy babies are very important, and until we know more, we recommend choosing the safest option: waiting.  

In the meantime, it is critical to keep your gums and teeth very healthy.  Pregnancy gingivitis and periodontal disease can actually be a risk to the developing baby, so make sure to see your dentist!

Kristen Berning, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Do not do it!

+1

There are no studies related to pregnant women and teeth whitening.  I would not recommend whitening your teeth while pregnant.  Keep risks to a minimum while pregnant.  It is not a necessity to have white teeth!  A healthy baby is what is important.

Kimberly Johnson Genc, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Avoid teeth whitening during pregnancy

+1

We have never seen any testing regarding bleaching products and pregnancy. I ask all my patients who are pregnant to avoid these products till they are finished having their baby and breast feeding.

We do suggest frequent cleaning every two to three months to keep stains off the teeth and keep tissues healthy, which can be swollen during pregnancy.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

No connection between pregnancy and whitening

+1

At pregnancy you should be careful about your gums. The first dental priority for pregnant woman is dental hygiene. Avoid overdosing yourself with extra coffee, tea, wine, coke or any other food which leaves discoloration on your teeth. It is better to use the home whitening kit with lower percentage of hydrogen peroxide. Contact your dentist in any case of pain or sensitivity.

Bruce Vafa, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Pregnancy and Teeth Whiteners

+1

I would not recommend it because there are no relevant clinical studies at this time. During pregnancy most staining compounds such as coffee, red wine and tea (caffeine) are avoided so it is best to take a break from whiteners.

Jennifer Jablow, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist