Can I Get a Tattoo over a Tummy Tuck Scar?

A tattoo is a great idea.

+11

Khet,

It is perfectly fine for you to get a tattoo over your incision. Many of my patients have done this and I think it looks nice. However, you may be surprised, but the scar/incision will likely not look at bad as you may be expecting. In most cases, after six months to a year, the scar is hardly noticeable. However, this is not true for everyone, so it is nice to have the option to place a tatoo. If you do choose to get a tattoo, I would suggest waiting at least 3 to 4 months before having it done.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Tattooing over Tummy Tuck scar

+6

You can tattoo over an abdominoplasty scar.

You want to make sure the scar is completely healed. In addition, be sure your swelling has resolved. This can take at least 6 months.

Steven H. Williams, MD

A great idea

+5

The tattoo is fine as long as the healing is complete. Tattoos can be medical tattoos that use complementary colors to fade the scar or cover-up tattoos and then your imagination is the best cover-up.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Just wait until the scar is mature first.

+4

The scar can take 6-12 months to mature. Then you can tattoo it if you wish assuming there are no healing problems. It may be worth dropping by your surgeon's office to get the "OK" before the tattoo.

Best Regards,

John DI Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

O.K. To Color Outside (and over) The Lines

+4

Although the scar from an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) is generally placed very low on the abdomen just above the pubic area, and is hidden by most clothing, some patients choose to do a bit more camouflaging of the scar by tattooing over the scar. I have seen tattoos in the design of a string of flowers, stars, or abstract shapes. Some patients have also returned with a sunburst pattern around the belly button, as well.

There is no reason why a patient cannot have a tattoo over a scar if she chooses, but first be sure that your surgeon agrees that the scar has healed completely, and as well as can be expected. If the scar is unsightly and can benefit from surgical revision, you may not need a tattoo to hide it after all. And remember, the tattoo is permanent, so choose carefully!

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

One can always tattoo over a scar

+3

One can always tattoo over a scar and a significant number of patients choose to do so. You should preferably do it when the scar has healed completely and be aware that what may be fashionable today may well be way out of style in the future.

Things to think about before you tattoo that scar!

+3

Great question... a few thoughts.

It is entirely possible to tattoo a scar. Keep in mind that a scar takes approximately 10-12 months to fully heal and mature.

You should ask yourself what is your goal in tattooing this scar? Is it to hide the scar, to minimize it? If so, there are other options you may want to consider first such as a scar revision where we can move the scar down to a position that it will be hidden under your clothes

Best-
Pat Pazmino, MD, FACS
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
MIAMI AESTHETIC SURGERY
305-576-3443

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tattooing Tummy Tuck scar not uncommon but scar revision is an option

+3

Abdominoplasty scars will reepithelialize within 48 hours, but the scars may take months to completely heal. Initially, the scars may become thickened and discolored, two processes which are correctable with time and topical treatments. Tattooing of scars is not uncommon and should be performed at least 2 to 3 months after surgery. This is a permanent option, in most cases, and should be performed after much thought.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tattooing a scar

+2

Hello Khet. Yes, you can tattoo your tummy tuck scar.  Are you trying to hide your scar? Most tummy tuck scars are placed low enough so that they're covered by most clothing, so you may not need to tattoo it if you're trying to hide it.  Keep in mind that your scar will continue to mature even after a year, and many tummy tuck scars will fade so much that they're hardly visible. So I would advise waiting at least 6 months before tattooing, and probably best to wait a year. All the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo over a tummy tuck scar

+1
After a reasonable period of time (ask your plastic surgeon) you may have a tattoo over your scar. You want to wait until the scar is completely healed to prevent the possibility of infection. You may also find that the scar is barely noticeable. Scars should be low, and they often will turn to very fine white lines. 

Also, be certain that you won't be having more children or having a revision and future surgery could distort a tattoo. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon