Skin Peels or Laser Treatments While Using Retin-A

I am age 39. I have been on Retin-A micro gel O.1% for about 6 months, applied every other night. I just started minocyc. antibiotic for breakouts on my face. I would like to get a mild chemical peel or preferably the laser Pearl treatment. Are either or both of these a bad idea for my skin while on Retin-A? Is Retin-A hard on your system or/and skin???

Retin A is great prior to and 1 week after chemical peels

+2

Retin A is always good for the skin in tiny amounts and can be used prior to and about 1 week after a chemical peel. Light peels run about $175-250 each and are done every 2 weeks for 4-5 peels. Medium TCA peels are about $500-1500 and are done 1-2 peels 2-4 weeks apart. Always use a prescription cortisone lotion, sunscreen and moisturizers after peels as well as your Vit A cream or Retin A.

Web reference: http://www.DrDavidHansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Retin-a and chemical peels/laser resurfacing

+2

Chemical peels and laser resurfacing are great ways to rejuvinate the skin and get rid of those fine lines, wrinkles, pigmented areas and acne scars.

Retin-a itself, will help remove dead skin cells, reduce acne, fine lines, wrinkles and pigment and will also help to prepare the skin for either a chemical peel or laser treatment.

However for best results, Retin-a should be stopped prior to any of those treatments typically for three or four weeks before the procedure. In addition, it should not be restarted for a couple of weeks after the procedure. It is best to consult your physician as to exactly how long you should be off the Retin-a, as different procedures will require different lengths of time.

Mild chemical peels may only require a week or so, as the resurfacing to your skin is only superficial and healing is fairly quick; however, a laser resurfacing of the face with the Pearl laser is a much more intense and effective procedure to resurface and rejuvenate the skin that will require you to be off the Retin-a for a longer period of time.

Tampa Ophthalmologist

Retin- A use prior to Peel or Laser

+1

Use of Retin-A Prior to Peels
Our office protocol is ideally to use Retin-A topically for 6 weeks or longer prior to a chemical peel or laser treatment.. It is an independent antiaging and preventative of spotty pigmentation afterwards. Your doctor/medical aeshtetician will instruct you when to recontinue this product. We have a specific protocol that also uses hydroquinone or other lightener agent prior to the procedure as well

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/biospa/obagi-blue-peel/

You can usually get peels or laser while on Retin-A

+1

Just let your doctor know you are on Retin A because for the deeper peels you might need to be off a few weeks before and after. It really depends on the big picture...what you are on as far as creams, treatments and the whole lot.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.