Can I Get Rid of Stretch Marks with Fraxel?

I am a 21 year old women who has stretch marks from weight gain and weight loss both lower and higher hips a tiny bit on the lower stomach and arms.... will Fraxel re:Store help me reduce the appearance? Thank you so much for your time.

Stretch mark improvement tends to be mild with Fraxel

+4
Recent red stretch marks may be less noticeable by treating them with V-beam laser for redness. Fraxel may help produce more collagen under the mature white stretchmark to make it less noticeable but this is not seen consistently, nor will it make the stretch mark go away completely. The percent improvement tends to be mild.

Lessen stretch marks with Fraxel.

+2

We have had very good results using the Fractionated NON-Ablative laser.  The number of treatments vary, but the results can be impressive.

Benjamin Bassichis, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel and stretch marks

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. When stretch marks are fresh (red) the color can be improved. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Your best option is to have them surgically remove where appropriate. Unfortunately not all areas are amenable to surgery. Visit with a plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Stretch marks needs to be cut away, not treated with laser

+1

Unfortunately there is no great way of treating stretch marks. The only way to really treat the area is to cut it away. This can be done easily on the tummy (tummy tuck) or on some of the arm skin (brachioplasty). Other areas are much more difficult. Fraxel may improve the color of the stretch marks if they are red but not the stretch mark themselves. Stretch marks are full thickness skin scars. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Not possible to remove hip stretch marks

+1

Please read all of the information on stretch marks on Real Self. Basically, NO treatment other than surgical excision as is done in a tummy tuck "gets rid" of stretch marks. No lasers, creams or topical treatments can do anything but possibly lighten dark stretch marks.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS