Can I Get a Photofacial on my Feet?

I wore the same sandals two summers ago and got brown stripes across my feet. I figured it would fade after 2 years, and while the demarcation isn't so obvious now, my feet still have a 'dirty' look to them. I wear sneakers all the time and they are still ugly. I would like the original color restored. My feet are small (sz 6).

Photofacial for feet

+2

Although we have never treated the feet for what you are describing, we have treated many other areas of the body that have pigment left behind from some type of trauma like you are describing. We use q-switched lasers for the treatments with very good results.

Pigmentation on feet and IPL

+1

I would see a board-certified aesthetic dermatologist first and get good recommendation on prescription-strength bleaching cream and skin care routine before doing IPL. Doing IPL blindly without a good skin care routine may result in worsening of pigmentation on your feet or anywhere else on the body.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Photofacial (IPL) for sun damage

+1

Photofacial or IPL (Intense Pulse Light) is a good treatment for hyperpigmentation in general, so it should probably work for you. You should discuss with the treating physician, though, your skin color, texture, other lesions if any. You might need some additional treatments, light chemical peels or microdermabrasion, to the area, but it should work.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD