Can I Get Ankle Liposuction?

I've always had kind of "chubby" ankles (cankles) and I would like more definition in this area.  Do doctors usually offer liposuction of the ankles, or is there some other procedure I should consider?  What about liposuction for the knees?  I just want my legs to look more shapely.

Liposuction to Lower Legs, Calves, Ankles or "Cankles" Absolutely!

+7

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles (Cankles)

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles (Cankles) can absolutely perfomed and it can provide a beautiful result that can be life changing. Liposuction is a body contouring surgery that requires not only an artist's eye, but also the insight to determine which patients are likely to benefit from the procedure, and which specific areas of a patient's body are appropriate for liposuction. When artfully and appropriately applied, liposuction can produce dramatic contour improvements. As with all plastic surgery, the goal should be to produce a natural contour.

Some liposuction patients that I treat seek a 'total body makeover', and undergo circumferential liposuction of the trunk, thighs and lower legs. The soft tissue contraction and resulting contour enhancement that is achieved by circumferential liposuction of a given area can be truly amazing. At the same time, I am increasingly seeing patients who come in for what I refer to as 'finesse' or 'refinement' liposuction, where very fit individuals seek refinement of specific areas that they feel are resistant to further improvement with diet and exercise.

To achieve ideal results, the skin tone overlying the area to be suctioned must have adequate tone in order to 'snap back' and redrape in a manner that is aesthetically pleasing. Areas with significant skin excess or redundancy generally require some manner of skin excision in addition to the reduction in the volume of subcutaneous fat by means of liposuction.

It is important to understand that liposuction is not designed to be a weight loss surgery, but rather a body contouring procedure. Patients undergoing liposuction ideally need to be at or near their goal for their long-term weight, and their weight needs to have been stable for several months.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for "cankles"

+2

In my experience, liposuction on the ankles, knees and lower legs is very successful and the only answer for many patients who genetics predetermine fat accumulation in these areas (aka cankles). The only negative with this procedure is that your swelling over the ankle and lower leg area will last a little longer (perhaps 2-4 months) as compared to areas like abdomen that look pretty good at 6 to 8 weeks.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Ankle Liposuction

+1

You can get liposuction of the ankle but you will need an experienced surgeon to perform the procedure.  Post-operative swelling can take a long time for ankle liposuction.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Ankle Liposuction

+1

Of course liposuction can be done at the ankles.  My plan would be to use small cannulas to avoid skin irritation in the deep dermis.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Ankle Liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be performed the cankles as well as lower legs and knees can be performed.  The surgery can be tricky so patient selection is key, and the surgeon must be experienced and expert.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Ankle and knee liposuction

+1

Yes. Liposuction works very nicely for ankles and knees.

Depending on your leg shape, spot knee and ankle liposuction may be all you need. Or you may need  and want liposuction from hips to ankles.

Liposuction, whatever you choose to have, is almost certainly the best treatment for you.

Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Ankle liposuction is very tricky

+1

Ankle liposuction used to be considered dangerous. If there is enough fat there and the circulation to the skin looks good it can be done, but the area will swell and this will take time to resolve. So your answer is a qualified "Yes."

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is adaptable to virtually anywhere there is unwanted fat

+1

Liposuction can be performed virtually anywhere there is unwanted fat creating contour problems and the ankles are no exception. It is important to understand how much of your ankle contour is fat and how much is bone. Knowing this will help you to visualize how thin an ankle can be sculpted and help to avoid unrealistic expectations from the procedure. This understanding should be made clear during a consultation with your plastic surgeon.

David A. Ross, MD

Liposuction of the calves and ankles

+1

If there is a reasonable amount of fat there, liposuction of the calves and ankles can give rewarding results. The key to success is using small cannulas and being diligent to reduce edema through elevation and compression after surgery.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Lipo can be performed almost anywhere

+1

Whereas liposuction can be perforemd almost anywhere there is a fatty bulge, there are certain areas that are very favorable and predictable (abdomen,hips,thighs, knees,chin), there are some areas that are higher risk. The ankles are a high risk/low reward area which is frought with long term swelling and recovery. I would be very cautious in this area.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon