Can I Get Ankle Liposuction?

I've always had kind of "chubby" ankles (cankles) and I would like more definition in this area.  Do doctors usually offer liposuction of the ankles, or is there some other procedure I should consider?  What about liposuction for the knees?  I just want my legs to look more shapely.

Liposuction to Lower Legs, Calves, Ankles or "Cankles" Absolutely!

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles (Cankles)

Liposuction of Calves and Ankles (Cankles) can absolutely perfomed and it can provide a beautiful result that can be life changing. Liposuction is a body contouring surgery that requires not only an artist's eye, but also the insight to determine which patients are likely to benefit from the procedure, and which specific areas of a patient's body are appropriate for liposuction. When artfully and appropriately applied, liposuction can produce dramatic contour improvements. As with all plastic surgery, the goal should be to produce a natural contour.

Some liposuction patients that I treat seek a 'total body makeover', and undergo circumferential liposuction of the trunk, thighs and lower legs. The soft tissue contraction and resulting contour enhancement that is achieved by circumferential liposuction of a given area can be truly amazing. At the same time, I am increasingly seeing patients who come in for what I refer to as 'finesse' or 'refinement' liposuction, where very fit individuals seek refinement of specific areas that they feel are resistant to further improvement with diet and exercise.

To achieve ideal results, the skin tone overlying the area to be suctioned must have adequate tone in order to 'snap back' and redrape in a manner that is aesthetically pleasing. Areas with significant skin excess or redundancy generally require some manner of skin excision in addition to the reduction in the volume of subcutaneous fat by means of liposuction.

It is important to understand that liposuction is not designed to be a weight loss surgery, but rather a body contouring procedure. Patients undergoing liposuction ideally need to be at or near their goal for their long-term weight, and their weight needs to have been stable for several months.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Liposuction for "cankles"

In my experience, liposuction on the ankles, knees and lower legs is very successful and the only answer for many patients who genetics predetermine fat accumulation in these areas (aka cankles). The only negative with this procedure is that your swelling over the ankle and lower leg area will last a little longer (perhaps 2-4 months) as compared to areas like abdomen that look pretty good at 6 to 8 weeks.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

303 Williams Ave SW
Huntsville, AL 35801

Calf/Ankle Liposuction

Stubborn fat in the calves and ankles or “cankles” can be difficult to improve with just diet and exercise and patients who experiences this can benefit from liposuction. Calf and ankle liposuction can be performed as an outpatient procedure in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery facility with "twilight" anesthesia administered by a board certified anesthesiologist. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the calves and ankles while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits like the ankles. Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area. 

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

1001 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Ankle Lipo

Liposuction can be performed to treat areas of localized fat deposition around the ankles. Best, Dr. Khorasani

Hooman Khorasani, MD

5 East 98th Street
New York, NY 10029

Ankle liposuction

This area is difficult to liposuction because of the general paucity of subcutaneous fat in this area.  Also, this area is subjected to gravitational swelling which will take a long time to resolve.   

John Burns, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Liposuction of the lower leg

If there are fatty deposits there, they can be liposuctioned safely if the surgeon has experience in this area.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

525 Oak Centre Drive
San Antonio, TX 78258

It's Possible to Perform Lipo on Ankles in Selected Patients

In selected patients it’s possible to perform liposuction on the ankles with excellent results. These results are dependent upon proper patient selection. Careful analysis of the bone, muscle, fat, and skin are critical components of the selection process.

Although the results of ankle liposuction can be good, this procedure is associated with significant prolonged postoperative swelling. For this reason, it’s important that your surgeon be board-certified and have experience with this operative procedure. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Can I Get Ankle Liposuction

You can get liposuction of the ankle but you will need an experienced surgeon to perform the procedure.  Post-operative swelling can take a long time for ankle liposuction.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

455 East Airport drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Can I Get Ankle Liposuction

Of course liposuction can be done at the ankles.  My plan would be to use small cannulas to avoid skin irritation in the deep dermis.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

4208 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77027

Ankle Liposuction

Liposuction can be performed the cankles as well as lower legs and knees can be performed.  The surgery can be tricky so patient selection is key, and the surgeon must be experienced and expert.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406