Can Fraxel Laser Fix Hyperpigmentation Caused by Other Laser Treatments?

I have undergone 6 sessions of laser photo facial but the discoloration has gotten worse, became much darker and spread more on my face. My doctor has recommended that I try fraxel, is there still hope after they damaged my skin? If laser photo facial caused more pigmentation,do you think fraxel could repair the damage?

Dark discoloration and Fraxel - Melarase treatment

+1

I would begin treatment with Melarase AM and Melarase PM early to correct the pigmentation and dark discoloration of the skin. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Pigmentation fixed by Fraxel

+1

The answer to your question depends on the original type of pigmentation that you have. In general, though, I do not use the Fraxel-restore laser to treat hyperpigmenation of any kind. I use the Fraxel-restore to treat acne scars and the effects of sun damage. It will help a bit with the pigment that comes from sun damage. And I believe that it is FDA-approved for the treatment of melasma (another type of pigment), but I find the results are inconsistent for melasma and that even with initial success, the melasma often recurs.

I have a laser practice, and yet often I will use bleaching cream instead of laser treat many types of pigmentation. If the pigment you have was caused by a laser, then it is called "post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation" and bleaching cream, sun avoidance, and time will usually do the trick.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist