Can Fraxel Laser Fix Hyperpigmentation Caused by Other Laser Treatments?

I have undergone 6 sessions of laser photo facial but the discoloration has gotten worse, became much darker and spread more on my face. My doctor has recommended that I try fraxel, is there still hope after they damaged my skin? If laser photo facial caused more pigmentation,do you think fraxel could repair the damage?

Hyperpigmentation caused by photo facial

+1
I have seen many patients consult with me because of hyperpigmentaition form IPL or other lasers.  The problem could have been the setting or a mismatch with your skin type.  I would not recommend Fraxel laser at this point.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist.  A combination of hydroquinones and chemical peels may be the better solution at this point.

Dark discoloration and Fraxel - Melarase treatment

+1

I would begin treatment with Melarase AM and Melarase PM early to correct the pigmentation and dark discoloration of the skin. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Pigmentation fixed by Fraxel

+1

The answer to your question depends on the original type of pigmentation that you have. In general, though, I do not use the Fraxel-restore laser to treat hyperpigmenation of any kind. I use the Fraxel-restore to treat acne scars and the effects of sun damage. It will help a bit with the pigment that comes from sun damage. And I believe that it is FDA-approved for the treatment of melasma (another type of pigment), but I find the results are inconsistent for melasma and that even with initial success, the melasma often recurs.

I have a laser practice, and yet often I will use bleaching cream instead of laser treat many types of pigmentation. If the pigment you have was caused by a laser, then it is called "post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation" and bleaching cream, sun avoidance, and time will usually do the trick.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist