Can the Erbium Yag Laser Be Used Safely on Silicone-injected Skin?

Does anyone know if Coherent Erbium-yag can be used safely on silicone injected skin?

Erbium Yag on silicone injected lips

+1

What are you using the erbium yag for is the first question.  Are you doing a superficial peel, a fractionated ablation or a deeper peel? Silicone is a permanent filler. If you are using the laser to try to remove the permanent filler I am not sure that this is a good approach.  In most cases the silicone is placed in the deeper layers of the lip and most lasers will not reach them easily.  If your question is more about safety or will the laser harm the underlying silicone the same response is true that in most cases the filler is deep and the laser does not need to go that deep to achieve its results. Your doctor should be able to know where they put the silicone, look at your lips and decide whether the laser depth they are planning will effect the silicone. As a disclosure, I do not inject silicone and so one of the responding plastic surgeons who does may be able to give you better insight into this subject. However, my experience is with other fillers such as Radiesse, Restylane, Perlane, Cosmoderm, Cosmoplast, Juvederm, Zyplast, Zyderm, Hyalaform, etc and for these I would be comfortable with specific erbium yag laser settings over these fillers.

Boulder Dermatologist

For fine lines about the lips, silicone is the best

+1

I have used silicone for many years since learning the "microdroplet" technique in New York. It is the best technique for the lines about the lips that may remain after any other technique (laser, Dermabrasion, peels, other injections). It is the most difficult filler to use properly and the most unforgiving.

We regularly use lasers of all types over silicone areas providing the silicone is not visible through the skin. It is the only filler that we do not do simultaneously with lasers because it must be properly put in so close to the outer layers of the skin that we fear it could be heated by the laser.

You should have no problem with any laser if the silicone is not visible through the skin.

Dr.Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Silicone and Laser together is safe

+1

We have many patients in our practice who we treat with both Liquid Injectable Silicone and with the Erbium-Yag Laser. It is completely safe; we have never had a problem. While filling defects and aging grooves with liquid injectable silicone can tremendously improve aging lines and wrinkles, the use of the Erbium-Yag provides that additional resurfacing and overall re-texturing. However, we never perform the treatments on the same day.

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=33

Erbium Yag Laser on filled skin should be no problem

+1

There are studies out there that the use of lasers and other fillers are safe. Although silicone injections are not prevalent in the US, this same principle applies. The lasers and Intense pulse light do not penetrate deep enough to effect the fillers including silicone fillers. Silicone fillers are also more resilient than other dermal fillers such as restylane, juvederm, etc.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon