Can a Dentist Perform Botox Injections?

Botox and dentists: the truth

+6

Any licensed practioner can give Botox...dentist, doctor, Md, DO and in some states nurses. The question of whether a dentist should give botox or not depends on how much botox the dentist has given before and what his or her training was. I honestly believe there can be some dentists who have great experience with botox and can give it well. There are also some who do not. I don't know of any dentists in my area who give botox to patients but elsewhere the experience may be different somewhere else in the country.  Many doctors will say, only their specialty should do this, that or the other. Part of this is turf battle over who gets to do what.  For exampl, Latisse is a drop to lengthen eyelashes. There are many different types of doctors who prescribe Latisse in their office though the complications are routinely being seen by ophthalmologists. It doesn't mean that non-ophthalmologists shouldn't prescribe latisse or that non ophthalmologists don't know how to screen for patients who may have a problem with Latisse. Injecting Botox is an art to a certain extent but it is certainly not brain surgery. Part of what makes a good botox injector is experience and knowledge. Coming out of training I had injected a number of patients during fellowship but certainly did not have the experience of some nurse practioners in my area. Does that mean that because I finished a fellowship in oculoplastic surgery I was now suddenly a better choice than the nurse practioner down the street who injected 60 people a day for 10 years. Of course not. Individual experience and results is what counts the most.  period.

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can a Dentist Perform Botox Injections

+1

A better question would be should a dentist perform Botox injections. The regulations on who can inject medications vary from state to state.  Some dentists are adept at injections and some are not.  Is it in the scope of their practice? Probably not. Would you go to a Plastic Surgeon for a root canal or dental extractions?  I do not think so.   Plastic Surgeons are trained and have a great deal of experience with Botox injections and dermal fillers and I believe they are the correct medical professionals for these injections.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Can a Dentist Perform Botox Injections

+1

Some dentists can inject and some cannot. But why should a dentist be injecting Botox?  I feel that a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist has had more training and experience in this field and should be the dedicated provider.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Each state has regulations governing dental professionals. Check with the local dental/medical boads

+1

Each state has laws and regulations which govern the scope of practice of dental professionals (DDS and DMD degrees). Patients interested in injectable treatments such as Botox or dermal fillers should check with the medical and dental boards where they live to determine if dentists are authorized to provide these treatments.

In any situation patients should seek qualified injectors who have appropriate specialty training, experience in the procedures sought, and a safe medical environment where proper procedures are followed.

Further information about injectables can be found by consulting injectablesafety.org.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who CAN vs. who SHOULD inject Botox

+1

There is a big difference between the questions "Can _____ inject Botox?" and "Should _____ inject Botox?" Legally, many different types of people can inject it, varying from state to state, including nurses, dentists, and other people without an M.D. degree. Some M.D's who do not have board-certification in a relevant field often inject it.

The safest way to pursue Botox treatment, is to see a physician (MD) board-certified in dermatology or plastic surgery, or the specific body area directly relevant to their specific training (around the eyes for an oculoplastic surgeon). Make sure to ask the "board-certified physician" what FIELD he or she is board-certified in. You may get a very big surprise. Many medispas run by a "board-certified doctor" are run by doctors who have no training in an appropriate core aesthetic specialty (dermatology, plastic surgery, oculoplastics, or ENT).

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Make sure you are injected by a qualified physician

+1

Drug companies will sell medications to any doctor - no matter what speciality.  Also, there are no clear regulations on who can inject Botox or inject dermal fillers.  You really need to make sure that you are injected by a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to ensure that you are having the highest trained person inject your face.  You would not go to the car wash to get your engine repaired.  Likewise, you should not go to your dentist to have plastic surgery.  

David Shafer, MD

Who's allowed to inject Botox

+1

Regulations regarding which practitioners are allowed to inject Botox vary from state to state and we do not have an answer to this question for the state of Georgia. California dentists are allowed to inject Botox.

If a dentist wanted to dedicate the time and effort into proper injection and facial anatomy training, they might become proficient in the procedures. But just like any other specialty, it takes time and effort. We question why a dentist that could spend his/her time and effort specializing and getting better at traditional or cosmetic dentistry procedures would think it would be a good use of their time to stray into the domain of facial cosmetic procedures. We're not sure why that would be a good idea for the dentist or the consumer. Whatever practitioner you choose, make sure that they specialize in the procedure you are looking for.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

You want expert experienced Botox injector.

+1

Hi.

I personally don't care about individual state laws.  The only smart thing is to have Botox injections by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

BOTOX from the dentist

+1

Although BOTOX can be injected in some places by a dentist, I think you are asking for trouble. I as a physician can technically pull teeth, but believe me, you wouldn't want me to do it. I don't believe that nurses or dentists should be injecting BOTOX, just as I don't believe that as a trained dermatologist I should be providing nursing or dental care.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Dentist performing Botox injections

+1

Anyone with a medical license or "supervised" by someone with a medical licensed is allowed to inject Botox in people's faces. Isn't that scary?

The same scenario applies to who can do a Facelift, a breast augmentation or a tummy tuck. Here any doctor despite his/her training can perform ANY operation he/she wants to.

To understand WHY and learn EVERYTHING you need to know about the term BOARD CERTIFIED please read - http://www.cosmeticsurgeryspecialists.org/realboardcertification.html

If you want to assure yourself the best result, I would encourage you to see only BOARD CERTIFIED Plastic surgeons, ENT's, or Dermatologists and insist that they themselves, not an underling "injector" do your Botox.

Good Luck.