Can Cortisone, Peels, or Microdermabrasion Affect Juvederm?

Can cortisone injections, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion move Juvederm around or speed up its break down? Are there are other common cosmetic procedures I should avoid?

Juvederm is injected into the mid-deep dermis

+2

Juvederm (Ultra and Ultra Plus) is injected into the mid to deep dermis level of the skin. So any treatment that is directed to this layer of the skin could affect the outcome of the injected Juvederm. You simply need to discuss with the treating physician and injectionist their plan for you and your desired outcome—I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon as well.

Thanks for your question.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Yes they all can affect Juvederm

+1

By your question I suspect you want to know if these procedures will get rid of some excess or lumpy Juvederm. Cortisone shots take away inflamation and swelling. You can get a little swelling from juvederm during the first 3-4 days. If the area is swollen from the juvederm injections then the cortisone will help bring the swelling down quicker if done during the first few days. If the juvederm lump is older than a few days then hyaluronidase injections dissolve juvederm and bring it down smoother. Chemical peels cause inflamatory cells to come into the area and can break down the juvederm alittle. Microdermabrasions do the same thing by mechanically disrupting the juvederm lumps to smooth them down alittle faster also.
The effects of the cortisone shots, chemical peels and microdermabrasions do very little on the juvederm that is already in the skin and looking good. I doubt that it will make it last any shorter other than just smoothing it out alittle better.
For the most part, if you are happy with the way your juvederm looks , then don't worry about any procedures affecting it in a big way at all.
Sincerely,
David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Caution with any other injectable and Juvederm

+1

Of the items you listed, I would be most concerned about cortisone injections affecting Juvederm. Chemical peels and microdermabrasion are procedures that involve a more superficial tissue plane than Juvederm so they should not cause breakdown or movement of Juvederm. Fraxel laser or any of the lasers that penetrate into the dermis may or may not promote the breakdown of Juvederm, depending on how deep the Juvederm is sitting in the dermal layer of skin.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist