Can a Bulbous Nose Be Reduced Without Looking Weird or Changing Your Look

Reduce Bulbous Nose and Have a Natural Look

Every patient who considers Rhinoplasty is worried that other people will see or comment on their different look after surgery. This is very rarely a problem. People who look at you look at your eyes and whole face and do not focus only on your nose.

A Tip Rhinoplasty can achieve significant improvement in the bulbous nose and if done correctly by an expert, can look very natural. Often the upper bony portion of the nose must also be narrowed to match the new tip.

Find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is comfortable with Rhinoplasty Surgery.

The answer is "Yes"

Based on your photo, I think you can have a very natural result after rhinoplasty, without an operated-on look. Living in Houston, you will have access to multiple outstanding Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area who can outline their operative plan for you after a complete examination.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Possible to have Rhinoplasty without looking weird

Your nose can definately be improved without making you look weird or dramatically changing your appearance.

As I'm sure you're aware, you do not have huge deformities to your nose. What I see is: a moderately bulbous tip, some wideness in the middle third of the nose, perhaps a very slight hump (tough to see from this view) and a little excess columella (the area between you nostrils).

Each of these issues can be addressed with precision with modern rhinoplasty techniques. Make sure you seek out a facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon who emphasizes rhinoplasty in their practice. Rhinoplasty represents greater than one third of my surgical practice. The surgeon should discuss in detail what s/he intends to do and show you representative before and after pictures.

It's critical that the surgeon ask you about how you breath through your nose - the examination of the inside of the nose is just as important as the outside of the nose! It's certainly possible to take a nose that breaths well but doesn't look great and change it into a nose that looks better but doesn't breath so well - a good rhinoplasty surgeon views that as a disaster.

Take your time finding a good surgeon and you should be fine. Hope that's helpful.

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Of course a bulbous nose tip can be reduced

Advanced work on the tip of the nose during a rhinoplasty is routine for plastic surgeons who have the training and experience.

It goes without saying that you should see before and after photos of the surgeon whom you are considering using. And don't just look at profile views where perhaps a hump was taken down off the nasal bridge. It's the three-quarter views, or the oblique views, that best show the width and the prominence of the tip of the nose.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Nose

Bulbous tips come in several varieties. There is the fatty bubous tip, cartilagenous bulbous tip and the scarred bulbous tip as a result of previous surgery. In your case, you have a cartilagenous bulbous tip which requires reducing and reshaping the lower lateral cartilages. The best way to see what it would look like is to send your pics through my website and I can computer image them to show you what you could look like. Also see link below for more information.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

A tip rhinoplasty usually via an open approach can be used to reduce a bulbous tip.  Usually the remainder of the nose will need to be adjusted to fit with the tip.  This does not usually result in a weird result.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Correction of A Bulbous Nose

The correction of a bulbous nose can be done using an open approach to rhinoplasty by using the patient’s own tip cartilages. This is done to preserve or restore a natural appearance. The key is that one must be careful in correcting it so they don’t get alar pinching or notching of the nose. This requires significant experience and expertise in this area of rhinoplasty. Furthermore, the management of the bulbous tip cannot be done in isolation without looking at the rest of the nose and face for shaping to provide tip optimum shaping of the nose.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Tip rhinoplasty for bulbous nose

It is indeed possible to refine the tip of a bulbous nose without creating an unnatural appearance. The nasal tip is important in facial harmony and balance. An aesthetic nasal tip can add significantly to facial beauty. 

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Bulbous Tip Treatment without Changing Your Look

In a word, yes. A tip-only rhinoplasty can be used to reshape the tip of the nose without changing the bridge. In general, reduction of a bulbous or overly round tip is performed via an open approach. However, for very conservative changes, this can also be accomplished through incisions placed only inside the nose. The key to your satisfaction is having a clear and open conversation with your surgeon about what you want. I find that my patients still want to look like themselves -- just a little bit better. Best of luck.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes and no.

A tip rhinoplasty can give you a narrower tip; but, of course, you will look different.  That is the objective of the surgery.  You want to look subtly different and have a natural looking tip.  The amount of narrowing can be affected by the thickness of your skin.  Noses with thicker skin can form more scar, and may require cartilage grafts for definition.  Swelling will also persist a bit longer in an open approach, my preferred approach for tip definition.  I have given you a link for a discussion of tip rhinoplasty.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon