Can Breastfeeding Cause the Areola to Change Shape?

Does breastfeeding cause the areola to change shape or look deformed? I'm a single mother of two and I've noticed some changes, but I'm not sure of the cause.

Yes the areola can change

+2

Breast feeding can change the areola and make them larger and sometimes less round or uneven.  All changes in the breasts from pregnancy have reasonable surgical solutions available to make significant improvements.

Pregnancy changes in your breasts

+2

Thanks for the question - You're correct that being pregnant can cause your breasts to enlarge. This can put significant stretch on the Cooper's ligaments (the major supporting elements of the breasts) and the skin. These changes of shape can include the areola. This typically can lead to areolas that are larger than pre-pregnancy. Hormonal changes can also lead to darkening of the areola which can be permanent. I hope this helps.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Breast feeding and areola size

+1
Breast feeding and pregnancy typically change the size and shape of the areola as well as the nipples and breast.

David Stoker, MD

You're absolutely right that breastfeeding can change the areola and nipple shape.

+1

This is because the suction on the nipple and the brown area around it (areola) can cause some distortion of the nipple and also when the breast volume decreases this again can cause alterations in both breast shape and nipple and areola appearance.

If you are considering treatment for this it would be sensible to complete your family so that if you do have a procedure the changes bottom by breastfeeding will not cause further disruption to your nipple area.

I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to go ahead with any treatment.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeed and nipple/areolar size and shape

+1

Breastfeeding can result in the nipples and areola stretching and enlarging.  This also applies to using a breast pump (those suckers could have bailed out the Titanic!). 

Once a woman is done with childbearing, the changes in the nipple and areola can be addressed either alone or in combination with an augmentation or lift or reduction.  Sometimes we can get a result that looks even better that what you started with! 

From one mother to another.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Areola can change after pregnancy and breast feeding

+1

Size, color, and shape of the areola can all be changed during pregnancy and breast feeding.  Most plastic surgeons would wait 3 to 6 months after breast feeding to do anything surgically to address the issues. 

Always best to see your board certified plastic surgeon and together come up with a plan to meet your goals.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Changes in your breast after breast-feeding

+1

A woman's body undergoes significant changes after pregnancy and breast-feeding. Many women find that their breasts are somewhat empty and may have stretch marks after pregnancy and breast-feeding. This is very common. It is also common for a woman to notice changes in the position and shape of the nipple and areola. A woman should wait at least for six months after finishing breast-feeding before considering breast surgery at that time, an evaluation by a board-certified plastic surgeon is the first important step. Your surgeon may recommend a small breast lift that can include an incision around the areola. At the same time as the lift, the size or shape of the areola may also be adjusted.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast feeding and areola changing shape or looking deformed

+1

It is not the breast feeding per se that causes areolar stretching - it is the pregnancy and the hormonally mediated breast enlargement that cause it.

Once breast feeding stops and the breast achieves its new dimensions you will need to decide if you are happy with the shape, size and location of the breasts. If not - a Breast Lift (Mastopexy) can BOTH reduce and make the areola perfectly round while lifting the breasts and making them perkier.

Changes in the areola with pregnancy and lactation

+1

Many of the hormones released during pregnancy cause the areola to darken and enlarge. Some people believe this is an evolutionary adaptation that allows the baby to identify and latch on to the nipple. I don't have the article handy but I recall being told that the average areola prior to pregnancy measures approximately 35mm in diameter whereas it measures 42mm afterwards.

Breast feeding and areolar shape

+1

Contrary to popular belief, breast feeding does not significantly alter your breast or areolar size/shape. It's pregnancy itself that can alter breast size and shape, this includes the areolas. Once you're done having children, it's appropriate to consider an areolar reduction or mastopexy to restore your breast shape to your pre-pregnancy condition. Some patients also need breast implants to achieve the look they desire as pregnancy and breast feeding can cause loss of volume/size of their breasts.

William Bruno, MD