Can Botox Create a Thinner-looking Face?

I've heard that Botox can also be injected on the chewing muscles in the mouth to help to create a thinner-looking face. Is this true?

In a word, yes

+2

The masseter muscle, one of the chewing muscles, is sometimes enlarged causing a squaring of the facial shape. It occurs most often in those of Asian heritage and can be helped by Botox injections. Botox will cause some shrinkage of the muscle and narrow the jaw, creating a more angular and feminine facial shape. This effect can be further enhanced by filling the cheek bone area with facial fillers. For better or worse, the effects of Botox injections are temporary and non cumulative, meaning they will not add up if repeated several times. So, you would need to repeat the injections every 3-6 months to maintain the effect. Good luck!

Yes, Botox can assist in making the face appear thinner, especially with use of soft tissue fillers.

+2

Botox certainly can assist both directly and indirectly in making the face appear thinner.

Direct injection into one of the major muscles of the jaw that is used for chewing (mastication) has been reported to assist in making the lower third of the face appear thinner. However, an injection of this type is realized by the FDA as an “off-labeled use”; thus, it should be performed by someone experienced because of potential and unwanted adverse effects. I have injected this muscle a few times in my career, following dental procedures for the treament of muscle spasm. I will purposefully start with a small dose and work upwards. In general, I must warn you to be be careful.

A much safer route is to use Botox in conjunction with facial fillers and/or skin resurfacing. Botox has found a defined role in restoring facial harmony by removing unwanted lines and wrinkles in areas such as: between the head of the eyebrows (glabella), the forehead, and around the eyes (crow’s feet). Also, Botox can elevate the corners of the mouth and soften the vertical lines of the upper lip. Soft tissue filler injections can powerfully make the face appear thinner by adding volume to the cheeks, contouring the jaw line, and soften major and minor facial wrinkle lines, etc. A combination approach is the way to go!

I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD, FACS

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Great for relief of Migraines, as well!

+2

Injecting Botox into any muscle causes the muscle to stop working and shrink in size. We use this knowledge to make patients wrinkle-free.

Injecting Botox into the chewing muscle (masseter muscle) will cause it to get smaller and the lower face will appear thinner. It is not used to make a round or chubby face smaller, only for those with prominent masseter muscles that define the shape of their face.

The real use for injecting Botox into this muscle is to relieve muscle tension or migraine headaches. I am told that for those with uncontrollable headaches, that this has some benefit.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Yes, Botox can be used on the masseter muscles

+2

CS,

It is possible to inject Botox into the masseter muscles to help thin the face. However, you should be sure that you are being injected by someone with extensive experience in Botox injection. It is not standard practice to use Botox in this way, but it can be done.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

David Shafer, MD

Botox for a thinner looking face

+1
Dear CS

This is a common question I see in my office, especially from Asian patients who tend to have more rounded facial features. 

Botox or Xeomin are very useful when injected into one of the muscles of chewing called the masseter muscle. I generally use a series of 2-3 injections of 20 units to each side. After several months, noticeable slimming of the jawline can be appreciated. 

The only FDA indications for Botox are the lines between the eyes and the crow's feet. This type of injection is considered off-label. 

For this reason, make certain you see a doctor who has extensive experience injecting Botox before you proceed. I would not recommend seeking this type of treatment from a spa. 

I hope this helps. Best wishes, Dr. S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes Botox can create a thinner more feminine face by reducing the bulk of the masseter muscle. This muscle gives the 'square jaw' appearance to a female face and Botox works well. A good tip is to combine this with cheek enhancement using fillers to shape the face with good results.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely - botox provides amazing help in this area...

+1

enlargement of the muscle in front of your ear and just above the jawline makes the face look squire and excessively full...may run in families, and especially common in those of Asian ancestry, people who grind their teeth or chew gum...botox is a wonder drug for this problem...basically eliminated the need for more costly, invasive surgical procedures that are associated with pain, prolonged healing and complications...and its effects last much longer than botox used for cosmetic purposes...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox and a thinner face

+1

If the masseter muscles are prominent, the jawline can appear square.  Botox can be injected into them to slim the face and give a more oval shape which is more feminine.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and Making a Face Look "Thinner"

+1

Botox, when properly applied, can reshape a face to make it look less square or thinner.  There are a few important factors in deciding on an injector for this area:

• Facial anatomy- The injector should have knowledge of facial anatomy which is in depth.  The nerve that controls the face is located near the masseter muscle and should not be injected
  • Facial aesthetics- The face needs to be reshaped by placing botox in the proper location to create a softer appearing face
  • Experience- The injector should have treated a minimum of 500 patients with this technique.  This is an advanced use of botox.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaping the face with Botox

+1

As the panel members all agreed upon, Botox or Dysport to the masseter muscle will help create a more rounded, less square appearance of the jawline. This has become more common in Asian patients that are wanting to create a less angular or wide look to this area of the face. It is not uncommon for those that suffer from TMJ to have this area treated for relief. Because dosing is on the high side in this large muscle, the expense must be outweighed by the benefits.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD