Can Bio-Alcamid Be Removed?

can bio alcamid be removed from the area between the nose and the upper lip? It is very bulky and has pulled down my upper lip. Can you pls. advise on the best way of removal? thank you

Bio- Alcamid

+2

Dear Sabah

I have seen several patients whom have had bio-alcamid injected by other physicians.  They have been told at the time of their injection that it can be removed and yet when they returned to the physician - the physician could not do it!! 

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Bioalcamid removal

+2

Bio Alcamid is a permanent filler and would need to be removed surgically.  I know of no other way to get rid of it. 

I hope this is helpful.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are ways.....But find the right person

+1

I've removed Bio-Alcamid from about 20 patients now along with Dr David Ellis using a simple technique. I usually requires a few treatments to really ensure you have the majority of it as it is a very frustrating process. 

the first thing, all patients must be on an antibiotic like Keflex prior to any treatment. 

We had great results using a 14 gauge needle. Basically, we would poke the pocket with the needle and then "milk" it out like toothpaste. it worked very very well. The difficulty was that there were often multiple regions of the product that were connected and seemed to move with gravity. So you can imagine, we remove it from one area and then 2 weeks later it fills up again as it moves from another location. Some patients required 3-4 or even more treatments to get it all (or the majority of it). The risk of course, is that it will change the look of your lip, which can be very hard to predict. But typically a temporary filler can be used to correct that (again, we put patients on antibiotics prior to injection in any patient with bioalchamid)

nevertheless, there is hope but you really need to find a good FRCPC in Canada or a board certified physician in the US to ensure its done properly. 

Also, Imaging (Ultrasound or MRI ) can be helpfull. 

Hope this helps. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bio-Alcamid safety in injections

+1

Bio-Alcamid is a permanent filler that can be injected into the body. Unfortunately, a subset of patients may develop a severe inflammatory condition that is difficult to manage.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS