Can Asymmetric Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed?

I am interested in fixing my asymmetrical eyes. One of my brows sits noticeably lower and that same eye looks much smaller than the other eye/eyebrow. Is this a problem that can be fixed to create a more balanced, symmetrical set of eyes for myself? I am a young woman in her twenties, not an older person so I am not sure what type of surgery would be best, but I plan on consulting soon. Thank you!

Asymmetry of brows and eyes

Some asymmetries can be fixed, others cannot.

Often, one globe (eyeball) is more deeply set than another. That means that it sits more deeply in the bone of the eye (orbital socket). This in turn causes many other asymmetries. The deeper eye will have more laxity (looseness) of the overlying skin, causing the upper eyelids to appear different.

There is often on the same side as the deeper set eye a flattening of the cheekbone, again causing the eye area to look different. There may be an orbital dystopia, where the eye bones are actually at different levels.

Brows can be at diffferent levels, or have different strengths of muscles functioning to cause the brow to appear different. The whole anatomy of every bone and muscle in the face comes into play.

Differences in the set of a globe cannot, for practical purposes, be corrected. However, a plastic surgeon who carefully analyzes the asymmetries of the face can come up with a plan that minimizes the asymmetries.

Nobody is completely symmetrical. A skilled and artistic plastic surgeon can point out the asymmetries and come up with a plan to minimize them. He or she can also point out which asymmetries cannot be fixed. You should feel comfortable after your consultation that your asymmetries were pointed out, recognized, and a plan included how to reduce the fixable asymmetries as much as possible.

Overall, asymmetries can often be minimized, but never completely removed.

120 S Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Can Asymmetrical Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed

Yes, this asymmetry can exist. None of us have a symmetric face. However, we differ in the degree of asymmetry from subtle to obvious. The eyebrow is moved by two groups of muscles that raise and lower the brow.The cause of a low eye brow can be related to nerve damage to the muscle that elevates the brow, but this should be obvious. If you are able to elevate the low eyebrow then the muscle function should be fine. Sometimes the low eyebrow is normal while the one on the other side is too high. There are other factors that can affect an eye brow position and the size of an eye including droopy upper lid, skeleton shape of the orbit, which is the eye bone socket and the position of the eyeball inside the socket.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

675 N St Clair St
Chicago, IL 60611

Correcting asymmetric eyebrows with browlift procedure

Asymmetric eyebrows can in fact be made to be more even, with some type of browlift procedure. The realistic goal is not to create perfect symmetry, but to help get closer to that goal and make a moderate improvement. This does not need to be a major procedure- many of the browlifts I perform are done under simple oral sedation, with a limited recovery time. It is important to note that, many times, asymmetric eyebrows can be associated with asymmetries of the eyelids as well, so this needs to be recognized pre-operatively so perhaps these asymmetries can be corrected or at least planned for.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

6280 Sunset Drive
Miami, FL 33143

Correcting brow assymetry

Most techniques for brow elevations (open forehead lift, endoscopic brow lift, transpalpebral brow lifts etc.) will improve brow asymmetries.  However, if the asymmetry is due to a discrepancy in the orbital opening in the skull, the correction achieved will be short lived.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

3300 Webster St
Oakland, CA 94609

Correcting Eyebrow Asymmetry

Brow lift can correct a static eyebrow asymmetry: if the difference in height or shape of the brow is present when the brow is relaxed.

Oftentimes, asymmetry is dynamic: a result of a difference in the tone of the forehead muscles.  Brow lift will not correct dynamic asymmetries.

This can be determined with careful examination.

Dynamic asymmetries can often be improved with BOTOX.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

2050 E County Line Rd
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Brow asymmetry can be corrected

Yes, your asymmetry can usually be corrected with a browlift.  Probably, an endoscopic approach will work, but your surgeon can give you the best advice.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

630 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78705

Oculoplastic techniques could address this issue

Asymmetry of the brow and eyelids could be fixed by a variety of surgical techniques, depending on the specific asymmetry. A plastic surgeon with oculoplastic training should be able to address these issues.

The brow asymmetry could be addressed by unilateral brow lift. The eyelid asymmetry is fixed depends on the specific issues.

The key issue here is to communicate your requests and expectations to your surgeon to ensure that you will be satisfied of the final result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

20301 SW Birch St
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Asymmetric Eyes/Brows

This a great questions when it comes to cosmetic eyelid and brow surgery. Most individual have some degree of resting asymmetry with regards to their orbital bone and facial structure.  The result is slight asymmetry when comparing each side of the face. In a young person in their twenties, it would be nice to review older pictures together and reassure you that the changes have been gradual and not something new. Eyelid and brow surgery and even occasionally orbital bone and fat surgery can help correct some of these issues after any other cause for the asymmetry has been ruled out.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

4316 James Casey Street
Austin, TX 78745

Can Asymmetric Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed

Thank you for submitting your question. Asymmetry in the eyebrows can be fixed with the brow lift.  Asymmetry the eye socket can not be fixed with a brow lift.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes.

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

5880 Ashmill Dr
Plano, TX 75024

Asymmetry of the eyes and brows

Everyone has some natural asymmetry of the face.  There are a lot of potential causes for asymmetry around the eyes and brows, including skeletal asymmetries, asymmetric muscle tone, or asymmetry of the skin and soft tissues.  Typically asymmetries can be improved upon with various surgical and/or nonsurgical interventions.  However, some asymmetry is likely to persist and reasonable expectations must be established.  Asymmetry of the brows is often related to asymmetry in tone between the muscle that raises the brow and the muscles that lower the brow.  This can typically be improved with a combination of Brow Lift to reposition the skin and soft tissues and Botox to attenuate the asymmetric muscle tone.  An upper blepharoplasty may also be indicated to address asymmetry of the upper eyelid skin and the postiion of the upper eyelid crease.   I would suggest seeking a consultation with a board certified surgeon specializing in Facial Plastic Surgery or Oculoplastic Surgery to fully evaluate your case and determine the best treatment plan to achieve your individual goals.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

213 Overlook Circle
Brentwood, TN 37027