Can Asymmetric Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed?

I am interested in fixing my asymmetrical eyes. One of my brows sits noticeably lower and that same eye looks much smaller than the other eye/eyebrow. Is this a problem that can be fixed to create a more balanced, symmetrical set of eyes for myself? I am a young woman in her twenties, not an older person so I am not sure what type of surgery would be best, but I plan on consulting soon. Thank you!

Asymmetry of brows and eyes

+7

Some asymmetries can be fixed, others cannot.

Often, one globe (eyeball) is more deeply set than another. That means that it sits more deeply in the bone of the eye (orbital socket). This in turn causes many other asymmetries. The deeper eye will have more laxity (looseness) of the overlying skin, causing the upper eyelids to appear different.

There is often on the same side as the deeper set eye a flattening of the cheekbone, again causing the eye area to look different. There may be an orbital dystopia, where the eye bones are actually at different levels.

Brows can be at diffferent levels, or have different strengths of muscles functioning to cause the brow to appear different. The whole anatomy of every bone and muscle in the face comes into play.

Differences in the set of a globe cannot, for practical purposes, be corrected. However, a plastic surgeon who carefully analyzes the asymmetries of the face can come up with a plan that minimizes the asymmetries.

Nobody is completely symmetrical. A skilled and artistic plastic surgeon can point out the asymmetries and come up with a plan to minimize them. He or she can also point out which asymmetries cannot be fixed. You should feel comfortable after your consultation that your asymmetries were pointed out, recognized, and a plan included how to reduce the fixable asymmetries as much as possible.

Overall, asymmetries can often be minimized, but never completely removed.

Correcting asymmetric eyebrows with browlift procedure

+3
Asymmetric eyebrows can in fact be made to be more even, with some type of browlift procedure. The realistic goal is not to create perfect symmetry, but to help get closer to that goal and make a moderate improvement. This does not need to be a major procedure- many of the browlifts I perform are done under simple oral sedation, with a limited recovery time. It is important to note that, many times, asymmetric eyebrows can be associated with asymmetries of the eyelids as well, so this needs to be recognized pre-operatively so perhaps these asymmetries can be corrected or at least planned for.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Asymmetrical Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed

+2
Yes, this asymmetry can exist. None of us have a symmetric face. However, we differ in the degree of asymmetry from subtle to obvious. The eyebrow is moved by two groups of muscles that raise and lower the brow.The cause of a low eye brow can be related to nerve damage to the muscle that elevates the brow, but this should be obvious. If you are able to elevate the low eyebrow then the muscle function should be fine. Sometimes the low eyebrow is normal while the one on the other side is too high. There are other factors that can affect an eye brow position and the size of an eye including droopy upper lid, skeleton shape of the orbit, which is the eye bone socket and the position of the eyeball inside the socket.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Correcting brow assymetry

+2

Most techniques for brow elevations (open forehead lift, endoscopic brow lift, transpalpebral brow lifts etc.) will improve brow asymmetries.  However, if the asymmetry is due to a discrepancy in the orbital opening in the skull, the correction achieved will be short lived.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Eyebrow Asymmetry

+2

Brow lift can correct a static eyebrow asymmetry: if the difference in height or shape of the brow is present when the brow is relaxed.

Oftentimes, asymmetry is dynamic: a result of a difference in the tone of the forehead muscles.  Brow lift will not correct dynamic asymmetries.

This can be determined with careful examination.

Dynamic asymmetries can often be improved with BOTOX.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry can be corrected

+2

Yes, your asymmetry can usually be corrected with a browlift.  Probably, an endoscopic approach will work, but your surgeon can give you the best advice.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Oculoplastic techniques could address this issue

+2

Asymmetry of the brow and eyelids could be fixed by a variety of surgical techniques, depending on the specific asymmetry. A plastic surgeon with oculoplastic training should be able to address these issues.

The brow asymmetry could be addressed by unilateral brow lift. The eyelid asymmetry is fixed depends on the specific issues.

The key issue here is to communicate your requests and expectations to your surgeon to ensure that you will be satisfied of the final result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Asymmetry of the eyes

+1
Most asymmetry is a normal appearance, though some people have varying degrees of it.  For some it is severe enough they would like a more balanced look.  Some of this can be corrected and some cannot.

I discuss facial asymmetry with all of my patients.  We have some great computerized tools in the office that allow us to demonstrate this.  Most times I explain that a certain degree of asymmetry is acceptable.  The fact is when we look carefully most people have asymmetry involving the bony skeleton and soft tissues.

Around the eyes, asymmetry may be very apparent since the eyelid issues are closer to the bony structures.  An eyebrow may be lower.  This could be corrected with a browlift or even some botox.  Upper eyelid skin may hang lower on one side.  A carefully planned blepharoplasty may help this.  In the lower eyelid, the 'bags' under the skin may hang lower or the bony rim is lower.  A filler can sometime camouflage this.  Likewise, careful pre-surgical assessment allows a surgeon to address this too.

I've been able to take this to another level with 3-D imaging and modeling allowing even implants that can be created for more severe cases of asymmetry.  There is no one place to draw a line on this topic.  It all begins with a thorough evaluation of the issues at hand.

Christopher Cote, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry in the Eyebrow

+1
Eyebrow asymmetry can often be improved with either a completely one-sided brow lift or a brow lift that raises one side more than the other. The method chosen will depend on what other issues you wish to correct. Since it will vary depending on your specific situation, a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon is necessary to determine the best approach.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eyes

+1
The appearance of asymmetric eyes can be caused by one brow being lower than the other. This can be treated with a unilateral endobrow lift. If the eye socket and or eyeball is actually smaller than the other than this is usually not addressed cosmetically.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon