Can Asymmetric Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed?

I am interested in fixing my asymmetrical eyes. One of my brows sits noticeably lower and that same eye looks much smaller than the other eye/eyebrow. Is this a problem that can be fixed to create a more balanced, symmetrical set of eyes for myself? I am a young woman in her twenties, not an older person so I am not sure what type of surgery would be best, but I plan on consulting soon. Thank you!

Asymmetry of brows and eyes

+6

Some asymmetries can be fixed, others cannot.

Often, one globe (eyeball) is more deeply set than another. That means that it sits more deeply in the bone of the eye (orbital socket). This in turn causes many other asymmetries. The deeper eye will have more laxity (looseness) of the overlying skin, causing the upper eyelids to appear different.

There is often on the same side as the deeper set eye a flattening of the cheekbone, again causing the eye area to look different. There may be an orbital dystopia, where the eye bones are actually at different levels.

Brows can be at diffferent levels, or have different strengths of muscles functioning to cause the brow to appear different. The whole anatomy of every bone and muscle in the face comes into play.

Differences in the set of a globe cannot, for practical purposes, be corrected. However, a plastic surgeon who carefully analyzes the asymmetries of the face can come up with a plan that minimizes the asymmetries.

Nobody is completely symmetrical. A skilled and artistic plastic surgeon can point out the asymmetries and come up with a plan to minimize them. He or she can also point out which asymmetries cannot be fixed. You should feel comfortable after your consultation that your asymmetries were pointed out, recognized, and a plan included how to reduce the fixable asymmetries as much as possible.

Overall, asymmetries can often be minimized, but never completely removed.

Correcting brow assymetry

+2

Most techniques for brow elevations (open forehead lift, endoscopic brow lift, transpalpebral brow lifts etc.) will improve brow asymmetries.  However, if the asymmetry is due to a discrepancy in the orbital opening in the skull, the correction achieved will be short lived.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Eyebrow Asymmetry

+2

Brow lift can correct a static eyebrow asymmetry: if the difference in height or shape of the brow is present when the brow is relaxed.

Oftentimes, asymmetry is dynamic: a result of a difference in the tone of the forehead muscles.  Brow lift will not correct dynamic asymmetries.

This can be determined with careful examination.

Dynamic asymmetries can often be improved with BOTOX.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry can be corrected

+2

Yes, your asymmetry can usually be corrected with a browlift.  Probably, an endoscopic approach will work, but your surgeon can give you the best advice.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Correcting asymmetric eyebrows with browlift procedure

+2
Asymmetric eyebrows can in fact be made to be more even, with some type of browlift procedure. The realistic goal is not to create perfect symmetry, but to help get closer to that goal and make a moderate improvement. This does not need to be a major procedure- many of the browlifts I perform are done under simple oral sedation, with a limited recovery time. It is important to note that, many times, asymmetric eyebrows can be associated with asymmetries of the eyelids as well, so this needs to be recognized pre-operatively so perhaps these asymmetries can be corrected or at least planned for.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic techniques could address this issue

+2

Asymmetry of the brow and eyelids could be fixed by a variety of surgical techniques, depending on the specific asymmetry. A plastic surgeon with oculoplastic training should be able to address these issues.

The brow asymmetry could be addressed by unilateral brow lift. The eyelid asymmetry is fixed depends on the specific issues.

The key issue here is to communicate your requests and expectations to your surgeon to ensure that you will be satisfied of the final result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Can Asymmetrical Eyes or Eyebrows Be Fixed

+1
Yes, this asymmetry can exist. None of us have a symmetric face. However, we differ in the degree of asymmetry from subtle to obvious. The eyebrow is moved by two groups of muscles that raise and lower the brow.The cause of a low eye brow can be related to nerve damage to the muscle that elevates the brow, but this should be obvious. If you are able to elevate the low eyebrow then the muscle function should be fine. Sometimes the low eyebrow is normal while the one on the other side is too high. There are other factors that can affect an eye brow position and the size of an eye including droopy upper lid, skeleton shape of the orbit, which is the eye bone socket and the position of the eyeball inside the socket.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Asymmetric Eyes

+1
The appearance of asymmetric eyes can be caused by one brow being lower than the other. This can be treated with a unilateral endobrow lift. If the eye socket and or eyeball is actually smaller than the other than this is usually not addressed cosmetically.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can asymmetric eyebrows be corrected with a brow lift procedure?

+1
There can be a number of reasons for eyebrow asymmetry, which can include variability of the underlying bone architecture, variability in eyelid position including exclusion of ptosis (droopy eyelid), depending on the cause there are different treatment strategies. Symmetry can be improved with a brow lifting procedure, realistic expectations are an improvement as perfect symmetry can be difficult to obtain as the underlying anatomy may differ between the two sides.

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric eyebrows can be fixed

+1
 A browlift can fix asymmetrical brows at rest, not upon animation. Some patients have an inbalance of the  frontalis muscle, so the brows are symmetrical at rest, but asymmetrical with animation.  The brow lift procedure is performed as an outpatient surgical procedure through either endoscopic or coronal approaches. For many examples please see the link below