4 Weeks After Surgery My Eyes Look Large and Fake Which I Don't Like, Can Anything Be Done?

I had upper eyelid surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I feel suicidal. I haven't left the house since the surgery. My eyes look massive and fake even though I asked for natural look. I went to the only ophthalmic surgeon with a fellowship in eye plastic surgery in the country I live in. I have attached photos. Please provide an honest opinion and let me know what can be done. I am hysterical. Thank you for your help.

Large eyes after an upper eyelid surgery

+2

I think you will see a sizable change over the next 4-6 weeks as the swelling goes down. The eyelid skin is quite thin and even minimal amounts of swelling can make one look different.

Unnatural Eyelid Lift

+2

After reviewing your photos I thinks all is well.  There is some mild swelling of the upper eyelid but the result at this point in time looks fine.  Give the lids about three months before making any final judgements about the result.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

I am so sorry that you are feeling bad after cosmetic eyelid surgery.

+2

Dear Helen

The first thing you need to do is deal with you feelings of wanting to kill yourself.  I urge you to get professional emotional help for these feelings today.   If necessary, consider seeking help today at a hospital.  Killing yourself is forever.  WIth time there are many options to help your appearance.  Depression after cosmetic surgery is not unheard of.  Once you are feeling better emotionally, it will be far easier for you to get help for the eyes.

Second, it is important to understand that you are early from your eyelid surgery so the harsh appearance you see will soften with time.  Before photographs would help for understanding what has changed with the surgery as well as a clear description of the surgeries performed by you surgeon.  Without this information, one is forced to guess what you concerns might be.  I suspect that part of the issue is eyebrow descent which can occur after upper blepharoplasty.  You also appear to have upper eyelid retraction which will make the eyes look very large. It is possible that finger winking the eyelid closed could help soften the upper eyelid position.  I suggest you discuss this option with your surgeon.

Help is out there but the first step is to take care of your emotional health.  Once you are emotionally stronger, then you can look for help with the eyes.

Too soon!

+1

As mentioned below, 3 1/2 weeks is quite early for you to be worried. Based on the postop photos, I assure you that the early results do not seem unreasonable. Not seeing the preop photos does make it more difficult to make an assessment.

Suicidal thoughts are quite serious and I urge you to seek help with a mental health worker.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon