Breast Aug Surgery Scheduled 11/9. Any Advice for Me to Calm My Nerves?

I scheduled the BA for 11/9 as I felt great after meeting with the PS, talking to spouse, & researching all aspects of the surgery for quite some time. I can't help but feel panicky in the "what if this goes wrong, what if they are extremely asymmetrical, what if I have one of the rare complications, etc." Any advice you can give me on how to calm down & what I can do to better prepare myself and/or lower any risks of these complications prior to the surgery. I appreciate your help in advance.

Nervous about surgery

+2

This is not at all uncommon. Those of us who do surgery day in and day out understand this, and also do enough to know how rare serious problems are. As far as unsatisfactory results or unusual complications, this is a discussion you may want to have with your surgeon.  I think that having another discussion with your surgeon is the best and only way to allay the anxiety you are feeling.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Any Advice for Me to Calm My Nerves?

+2

Good question and a very common problem. You don't see surgery done day in and day out like we do. If you did you would realize that you will wake up from the anesthetic and all these anxieties will be gone because everything went great and you have results you love. I have some patients that are so worried they lose sleep and so we prescribe a light sedative or sleeping aid for them. Maybe you need to speak to your surgeon about that if the anxieties are interfering with your life.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Anxiety before Breast Augmentation?

+2

As you know, some degree of anxiety is to be expected before undergoing any type of surgery. This is especially true for elective surgery where it is your choice (not a necessity)  to proceed with surgery. Anxiety, feelings of fear, guilt, is this vanity?, are very commonly felt emotions.

Assuming you have done your due diligence in selection of plastic surgeon, the odds are in your favor that you will be pleased with the results of surgery. However, you should also have confidence in your plastic surgeon's ability to handle complications that may arise despite best efforts.

No  amounts of “reassurance” from online consultants will bring you peace of mind compared to additional time spent with your plastic surgeon. I would suggest that you request additional preoperative visits addressing specific questions/concerns until you feel more comfortable. Speaking to previous patients and learning about their ways of dealing with the preoperative anxiety may be helpful as well.  Despite these efforts, if you continue to have a  negative “gut feeling”, you may be better off postponing surgery until you feel otherwise.

Preop nervousness

+2

I think that preop anxiety is normal. If you didn't have some anxiety I would think that something was wrong.  Take a deep breath and relax.  If you have last minute concerns, then contact your surgeon.

Breast Augmentation Anxiety

+2

The best advice I can give you would be to seek a second opinion.  You need to go into surgery with a clear mind and confidence. Something is wrong for you to ask this type of question.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your expectations and concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Anxiety prior to having surgery

+1

It is normal to have some degree of anxiety prior to surgery. Ocassionaly taking a anxiolytic medication prior to the procedure can be helpful.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS