Do I need a revision otoplasty surgery? I expected some asymmetry, but not to this extent. (Photo)

I had surgery on my ears to reduce their size approximately 2 weeks ago. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the difference in size between my left and right ear. There is over a cm difference in width. I expected some asymmetry, but not to this extent.

Healing Post Otoplasty

+2
It can be difficult to stay patient post -op. you are 2 weeks into a 1 year healing course. Swelling will fluctuate during that time. If you look closely at your before pictures, your ears likely look better than they did before surgery. They will only improve.
Communicate your fears with your surgeon, and follow all post-op instructions.

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty asymmetry between the right and left

+1
It is hard to figure out with the pictures just what you are talking about. Is it the width from the head or actual width of the ear from front to back. If it is a difference from how much it protrudes, this could improve with time. I would wait at least 3 -6 month to really start considering any asymmetry. Also this is the time point that you would consider revision. Most surgeons wait 6 months to a year. But your results should be more apparent at 3mo.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty revision

+1
I agree it is difficult to fully understand your concern from the pictures. It is way to early to determine if you need a revision. Give it a few months to heal. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after otoplasty

+1
Your photos do not show what you are talking about.  Do you mean one side sticks out 1 cm more than the other?  It is not possible to see that on angled shots that show one ear at a time.  That said, at 2 weeks there is surely some swelling that can affect symmetry.  Be patient and discuss this with your surgeon. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon