What To Do About Scar Tissue After Breast Augmentation/implant on One Side? (photo)

I am an out of town patient, so I have not seen my plastic surgeon since surgery coming up 7 weeks healing now. My quesion is I think that I have some scar tissue build up in my right breast, but none in my left breast. My doctor has me massaging and I just recently went back to work so I a mmoving my arms more. My right breast is tender, so do I keep massaging?? I heard it was bad?? Also my areola on same breast is not as centered, will that change?? What do I do now at 7 weeks? Thank you!

Scar tissue

+2

Seven weeks is a little too early to say whether this will be a problem or if it is just a little difference which will improve as a bit more settling takes place over the next several weeks.  I agree with massage and I have my patients massage although there is no scientific evidence to support the fact that it will reduce or eliminate the possibility of encapsulation.  

I would keep in touch with you plastic surgeon.  I often have my out of town patients end me photos so I can keep track of how they are progressing.

Thank you for the question and best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Early Capsular Contracture

+1

It is hard to tell this early whether you have a capsular contracture.   I would recommend a followup exam with your plastic surgeon to evaluate this.  .  Capsular Contracture is one of the main risks of breast augmentation.   Classic signs are:

1.  hardness/tightness of the implant
2.  change in implant position (typically migrates towards the collarbone)
3.  increased pain and stiffness on the associated side.
Based on your description, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation of capsular contracture.    If present, I would recommend a capsulectomy (removal of scar tissue) and implant exchange. 
Factors to consider:
1.  If your implants are above your muscle, you may want to consider switching to underneath the muscle, which lessens the risk of capsular contracture.
2.  If your implants are above the muscle and you desire to keep them there, you may benefit from the use of a textured implant.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant issues

+1

It is best to address your concerns in person with your surgeon.  There is always some asymmetry between the two breasts.  As for tightness, one may feel tighter.  If you are concerned about a capsular contracture, and exam would be necessary.

What To Do About Scar Tissue After Breast Augmentation/implant on One Side?

+1

Photos posted are slightly helpful. Best to be seen in person by a boarded PS in your area, if you can not see the original surgeon. But I would continue massages and possible external ultrasound therapy. Also a before photo might should your asymmetry if it was present. Follow up please. 

7 weeks after breast augmentation

+1

One can only tell so much from history and photos, without being able to do an examination.  That said, your photos seem to demonstrate appropriate, symmetrical implant position.  The soft tissue envelope seems to be a little tight - probably due to this early point post-op and small firm breasts pre-op.  I recommend that you continue with implant massage as directed, send your surgeon the same photos you posted, and try to get in for a follow-up visit.  I suspect this will all get better with time if you simply stick with the program.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon