Liposuction Burn?

I am a breast cancer survivor.I have done chemo and radiation.Sad to say I just lost my breast but however under left arm pit where liposuction was done feels like a rod going into my new breast that is a transflap breast from my belly.Can lipo burn grow? or can it be removed.Thank you

Liposuction burn after breast reconstruction

+2

Liposuction may be used as an adjunctive modality to improve the results obtained after breast reconstruction. If there is an area of concern you should always consult your plastic surgeon or your breast surgeon to rule out any serious issues.

Pain in armpit (axilla) following lipo to upper chest and breast

+2

Liposuction of the upper back which is commonly performed in breast reconstructions or reductions frequently produces some pain which can radiate to the breast or back. In my experience it tends to resolve over a 3-6 month period when it is severe. On rare occasion, I have sent patients for physical therapy to promote scar mobilization and desensitization therapy.

Burn Sensation Nothing To Worry About

+2

It is difficult to know what is going on with the "liposuction burn" area.  Is this an actual burn or does it just feel like it is burning? fF it is the former, it should ehal on its own.  If it is the latter, then it is probably just an irritation of the nerves in the area from the liposuction, TRAM, and healing process.  I would address this with your surgeon, but in reality, it is probably just part of the healing process from such a big surgery ( complicated by the fact that the area was radiated before).  It can take 3-4 months for everything to heal and settle down, so just be patient.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Hard Armpit Scar After Breast Reconstruction and Liposuction

+2

Regarding: "Liposuction Burn?
I am a breast cancer survivor.I have done chemo and radiation.Sad to say I just lost my breast but however under left arm pit where liposuction was done feels like a rod going
into my new breast that is a transflap breast from my belly.Can lipo burn grow? or can it be removed.Thank you"

I am not sure if I understood your question. As I understand it, after a mastectomy and radiation you underwent left breast reconstruction with a TRAM flap (pedicled Tummy tissue) with liposuction of the side of the chest to give the breast a more attractive tapered look. This was complicated by a hard rod-like tissue extending into the flap.

The hardness can be many things. From inflamed tissue which will take a while to go down, to a segment of dead fatty tissue (fat necrosis) due to radiation associated loss of blood supply or something else. The BEST and safest way to find out is see your Plastic surgeon and ask him. Getting educated guesses from well meaning Plastic surgeons over the Internet is at best useless.

Dr. Peter Aldea