How Much Weight Do Others Gain After a Salty Meal Post Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

I'm 16 weeks post op tummy tuck and lipo. My weight has been climbing the past few weeks, 8 pounds to be exact! I had a few salty dinners and was wondering if that was to blame. Has anyone else gained several pounds that quickly at this point in recovery. Any advice or info would be really appreciated.

Avoid the salty meals after tummy tuck

+1

After a major procedure like tummy tuck, excess salt intake can cause you to add water to the already swollen healing tissue in your abdomen. You would be well served to reduce the salt, and heal.

Diet, Salt intake and weight gain following tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

It is possible to note weight gain following a tummy tuck and/or liposuction, especially if one has a excessive intake of salt.  Following a tummy tuck it will take several months for the lymphatic channels in the abdomen to reestablish a normal function.  During that time excessive salt and fluid intake can result in increased swelling and weight gain.  Therefore, it pays to avoid excessively salty foods.  Also, always remember that plastic surgery is an adjunct to, not a substitution for, a good diet and exercise program.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon