One Eye Wont Open After Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

Surgery Date 1/03/2013 My right eye is still not opening and its vision is blurry. The doctor put a drop in the eye to stimulate the muscle and it opened for about 5 minutes :) However, I neglected to ask him what that might mean for me! Does this reaction to the eye-drop mean I have muscle damage rather than tendon damage? Is the damage likely to repair itself over time? How common is this kind of complication? And is there anything I can do to help strengthen that muscle but wait?

Eyelid surgery healing

+1

The best to do at this time is wait until complete muscle/eyelid healing which will take 3 months or longer. Then the eyelid can be reassessed.  Revisional ptosis surgery (droopy eyelid) may be needed.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1

Since you only had surgery a few weeks ago, it might be wise to let things heal and allow for the swelling to go down. It is likely that it will get better.  Good luck.

Ptosis repair or blepharoplasty [or both]

+1

You are still relatively early in your postoperative period and I would urge patience at this point. Your condition will improve with time. Almost always swelling is asymmetric and this maybe the case here.

After 3-4 months, you will have and accurate assessment of the post op results.

Unfortunately, there are no exercises that will accelerate this process.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

First you are very early from surgery.

+1

I would recommend that you allow the eyelid to heal for many months.  The reason for that is that the ptosis you are experiencing in the right upper eyelid may resolve or improve.  Early intervention is seldom a good idea.  At 3 to 4 months we will have a much better idea of something will need to be done surgically or not.  Please do not push this surgeon to do something early.  Both of you will regret this choice and you will have to live with the consequences.