What Surgeons Have Experience with Asian Upper Eyelid Surgery Revision? Do I Need an Oculoplastic Surgeon?

I had a rather aggressive upper eyelid asian blepharoplasty ( full incision,sutures) 20yrs ago. Fat, skin & muscle removed resulting in hollowing. One eye doesn't close well. Originally, I had straight crease, like the bottom pie half now I have a downward curved semilunar crease. I'm interested in: -lower & or change the shape of the crease -fat transfer to upper eyelid -correct assymetry -reverse epicanthoplasty Aware there are limitations, but I am interested in exploring the options pls.

Doctor Answers (5)

I would recommend several consultations before you make a decision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Not all Facial Plastic Surgeons and Oculoplastic Surgeons specialize in Asian eyelid surgery. Because your situation is challenging, I would recommend several consultations before you make a decision. Most importantly, pick a surgeon with a lot of experience in these types of procedures, and someone you feel comfortable working with.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Upper eyelid surgery revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issues that were caused from your previous surgery. Photos would really be necessary to provide you with specific advice. From here, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon experienced with Asian upper eyelid surgery. They will be able to assess your needs in person and provide you with advice. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Late revision Asian eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}



It sounds as though it was a bit aggressive which was a popular move 20 + years ago. . .even in parts of Asia.  In any case you'll need reconstructive surgery with possible skin and fat grafting but that can't be determined for sure without several consultations.  I'd stick with surgeons who operate on the Asian eyelid frequently.  This can be performed under local anesthesia and yes there are likely some limitations and you'd quite possibly need a second surgery to complete the reconstruction.  Get several consultations.  Oculoplastic surgeons are excellent candidates but be aware not all Oculoplastic surgeons are made equal.  See surgeons who focus on the Asian face.


Best of luck


Chase Lay, MD 

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Asian Eyelid Surgery Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear anon2343,

Please see a Board Certified surgeon who has extensive experience with revision Asian eyelid procedures. The right surgeon can be trained as a Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Oculoplastic Surgeon, and/or Dermatologic Surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD



Larry Fan, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.