Risks of Under Eye Microphlebectomy? Any Long Term Issues?

I have two large blue veins under my right eye that are flat but unsightly. I had a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who advised against any sclerosing agents or lasers. He advised leaving them alone, or use a filler to camouflage them. I'm nervous about filler by my eyes and am curious about microphlebectomy. I understand the risk for scarring is minimal, but what are the long term effects? Will the area incur tissue damage from not having enough blood flow? Can it damage the eyes?

+1

Thank you for your question. Some areas around the face are not safe to treat due to risk of blindness. I would recommend consulting with an opthomologist or vascular surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Several options.

+1

There are several options for the treatment of these veins including laser, microphlebectomy or sclerotherapy.  My procedure of choice is sclerotherapy and I have been doing periorbital eye vein sclerotherapy for over 15 years with excellent results and no complications.  This procedure does require some expertise and should be done by someone who does it often.  As with any procedure there are associated risks, but essentially negligible in experienced hands.  You may want to view the vein experts website for further information regarding periorbital eye vein sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Blue veins on the lower eyelids

+1

I treat blue veins on the lower eyelids with laser on a frequent basis.  Metal corneoscleral shields need to be used to protect the eye and great care needs to be taken during treatment.  This is NOT  a treatment to be done by  inexperienced laser users but is highly successful and safe when performed properly.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Microphlebectomy under the eye

+1

The skin under the eye is very thin and the most untoward side effect would be pigmentation that arises following the expected bruise you will get from the microphlebectomy. Scars are not an issue in this area as the skin is very thin and scarring is minimal and not noticeable.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon