Can Someone Please Tell Me the Cons for Medpor Implants Used on Rhinoplasty Patients?

I recently had an open rhinoplasty and my surgeon placed Medpor on my bridge and tip. I am 3 weeks post-op and am healing well with minimal swelling. However, when I looked up information on nasal tip hardness, I came across a lot of negative reviews by different surgeons regarding the use of Medpor. Now I am worried with regret, and don't know what to expect. The specifics as to why Medpor could be bad are not easy to find on the net. Could someone please educate me?

Medpor in Rhinoplasty

+1

Medpor is a porous and sturdy synthetic material that has been used as an implant in the nose and elsewhere in the face for many years.  I recently wrote a paper in the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery on this exact topic, which you can find on their website (I was also interviewed by Bloomberg News and Reuters, if you'd like to read those articles)

While it is true that the complication rate was high in patients in my study in whom Medpor was used in the nose, it was not universal.  Many of the patients that had received Medpor never developed a complication. The complications were:

• Infection (which required a course of antibiotics or removal)
  • Extrusion (meaning the implant worked its way out through the skin and needed to be removed)

The wise thing to do in your situation is to simply be aware that these complications can occur and keep an eye out for them.  If you notice redness or drainage from the incisions, contact your surgeon immediately.  There is more information on this topic in my blog (see link below).  I hope you find this information helpful.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal implants, like Medpor, have a small chance of getting infected after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

There has been recent press regarding the association of Medpor nasal implants and developing an infection. Any foreign-body nasal implant like silicone, ePTFE(GoreTex), or Medpor may become infected after surgery, but a recent study claims that Medpor has a higher incidence of infection as compared to the other two products mentioned.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about this. As long as you're pleased with your result and not experiencing a complication, you should keep your implant. I do not have personal experience using Medpor, but many reputable rhinoplasty surgeons have been using this for years with good success.

You should address your concerns with your surgeon for reassurance. You can ask him how many times he's seen Medpor related infections in his practice, and how this would be managed in case it happens to you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon