My Breast Implants Are Too Close Together, Should I Be Worried? (Photo)

I am 5'2, 99lbs, petite, started with 32aa and was measured by my PS at 12cm BWD. I got 350cc silicone high profile (under the muscle) and I feel like my implants are too big for my frame or they are too close together. It has been 3 1/2 months post-op already and I barely have any space between my cleavage, only the tip of my pinky can fit in between the base! I am worried, please advise!

Implant Revision.

+3

Hello and thank you for your question. Your concerns are very valid and I hope our answers help you.

I do believe that you have implants that are too close to the center of your chest making your nipples flare out and for you to have a very small cleavage. To correct this issue, I think that you need a revision with repositioning of the implants. We need to move them out by suturing in the medial area and releasing the lateral portions of your breasts. In regards to the size of the implant, this all depends on the size of breasts that you wanted. Each one of my patients presents with specific goals in their augmentation and it is why I spend lots of time speaking with them about the look and feel that they want from their surgery. Some of my petite patients only want a subtle, conservative look and only require a moderate height implant. If you do not want an overly augmented look a more anatomic implant may be more indicated in your case. However, if you wanted a larger breast with more projection then the high profile implant was indicated due to the width of your breast.  

At 3-4 months out of surgery the position of the breast is stable and in my opinion a revision is your best option.

Best of luck.

Implants too close together - How to avoid Synmastia

+2

The usual distance between the breast is about 3 cm.  The pectoralis muscle originates along the lateral border of the sternum.  In order to get submuscular implants this close to the midline then the muscle must have been released up to at least the mid portion of the sternum.  There is no problem as long as you like the implants this close together.  What you do not want to happen is for the two implant pockets to erode into one another.  This condition is termed synmastia.  At this point you are fine but in the future if you notice the implants getting even closer together then let your surgeon know.  

Don't worry.

+2

At 3 1/2 months, your pockets are stable.  You appear to have a nice result considering your body size and the size implants placed.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

3 months post breast augmentation

+2

If what you were asking for was fullness and cleavage, you certainly got that from the implants.  At 3 months out, you should be safe from a unibreast deformity because the pockets have matured around the implants and will keep them apart even though they are close.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Concerns Breast Implants are Too Close Together

+2

I must say that your breasts at 3.5 months in the 4th picture look very good and the lateral portion of the pocket expanded a noticeable amount from previous pictures.  See how it goes for another 3 months.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Cleavage

+2

It appears that the implant size will need to decrease to get more space as well as close the pocket toward the center of your chest

Michael Hueneke, MD

Breast Implants Too Close To Each Other?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on your pictures, your concerns are understandable. Your breast implants do appear to be close to the midline;  this causes the nipple/areola complexes to appear off centered on the breast mounds.

Given your concerns about the breast size and positioning of the breast implants, you may be a candidate for revision breast surgery at some point. This operation will likely involve  adjustment of the breast implant capsules with internal sutures ( capsulorrhaphy);  this adjustment will help prevent the breast implants from moving too close to the midline. “Reverse capsulotomy” ( opening the breast implant capsules to the sides) may also be helpful.  Adjusting the breast implant position on the chest wall will also serve to better center the nipple/areola complexes  on each breast mound.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn about the options available.  Best wishes.

Good Results After Breast Augmentation

+1
While your breasts are spaced a bit close together, your results look pretty good. As a matter of fact, many patients would love to have the cleavage you have! However, if you are unhappy with the results, revision surgery would be the most effective solution to creating a larger space between your breasts and a smaller size. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

My Breast Implants Are Too Close Together, Should I Be Worried?

+1
This really depends on what you and your surgeon agreed upon before the surgery.  If the goal was to increase the volume for cleavage, then the goal was achieved.  You do not appear to have synmastia (the breasts are merged together) so I don't think you need to remain concerned about that now.  Follow up with your surgeon if you desire a revision.  Best wishes

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Breast implants too close?

+1

I do not think you should panic. Symmastia is when the cleavage is destroyed and the two breast pockets become one like a tube top. This is unlikely to occur but keep a close eye on if the cleavage is being eroded away over time. My sense is that the skin will relax and the implants will be fine. Dont rush to have anything revisions until a year out. You can always downsize the implants if you don not like the size, but that is a separate question from the cleavage issue.

Raj S. Ambay, MD