Do my teeth need to be aligned for a chin implant?

I'm a 17 year old male with overbite, openbite and a very poor chin. I have a few questions 1) Do my teeth need to be aligned for a chin implant? 2) Is it possible that I could get the implant over this summer break or is there a specific age I need to reach? 3) Is there any way to take attention away from my chin? I can't grow a beard, is there like any makeup I could use to cover it up, etc? I'm a guy but I'm pretty self conscious about it.

Need to improve my chin - can't grow a beard to hide it.

+1
  1. You need to be 18 or to have a parent willing to sign a surgical consent to have any surgery.
  2. Implants can be done once a person stops growing - at 17 you probably have.
  3. A chin implant does not require teeth to be aligned.
  4. An over-bite + open bit really should be corrected with surgery. This alone may improve your facial balance and your chin and sounds like the first thing to consider.
  5. If that is out of the question, discuss a chin implant with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

+1
  A chin implant can improve lack of chin projection, but it will not improve other issues.

+1
No your teeth don't need to be aligned prior to chin implant surgery. However, if you have a significant overbite and especially an open bite, you would likely benefit more from oral surgery to not only improve your chin but also to realign your bite. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Teeth Alignment and Chin Augmentation

+1
The alignment of our teeth have no impact on getting chin augmentation, other than a large overbite may suggest a sliding genioplasty as opposed to a chin implant. Make sure you have computer imaging done so you can appreciate the change from different views and can help select the magnitude of chin augmentation that receive.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant may be an easier treatment.

+1
By your description, I would agree that you may benefit from genioplasty with or without orthodontics.  As long as you are comfortable with your bite, however, placing a chin implant may be all the cosmetic improvement you want while also being relatively less expensive.  Silicone implants are commonly used, but I like more rigid ones like Porex which are held in place with a screw.  Many surgeons believe that an incision below the chin is more reliable than going through the mouth.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Teeth do not be aligned for a chin implant

+1
It's probably a good idea to see a facial plastic surgeon and talk about chin implant placement and an oral surgeon to talk about a genioplasty, so that you can look at all your options. Genioplasty is usually done in a hospital setting while a chin implant can be performed under local anesthesia in an outpatient setting. The teeth did not need to be in alignment for a chin implant, but you may consider orthodontic treatment to align them. For many examples of chin implants, please see  the link below

Chin

+1
If you have all the issues that you mentioned, I advise against genioplasty. Best result can be obtained by braces and orthognathic surgery. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon