Following Liposuction on Thighs, Im Left W/loose Rolls of Tissue/skin/muscle/fat. Is TL Only Option?

Are most women who have loose skin/fat rolls/loose muscle tissue following liposuction on thighs having thigh lifts, or are there alternative solutions available? I'm a dancer who gained weight after having to have four operations. I had lipo to improve my legs, but now they are worse than initially, and my muscle definition is hidden under loose, thick skin tissue.Looks like my muscle/tissue didnt adhere back to deeper layers.What alternatives to thigh lifts? Its hard to find PS who does TLs.

Inappropriate Liposuction?

+1

I am sorry to experience.  Either you were not a good candidate for liposuction or liposuction was performed in appropriate areas to destroy the support system of the skin of the leg.  Before and After pictures would be helpful to determine what correction is needed and how to best go about it.

Dr. ES

Following Liposuction on Thighs, I'm Left W/loose Rolls of Tissue/skin/muscle/fat. Is TL Only Option?

+1

I perform dozens of thigh lifts a year.  A medial thigh lift may be the procedure for you.  Pictures or an exam would be necessary to confirm.  An extended thigh lift or a groin crease thigh lift are the two medial thigh lift variants.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Look at website before and after photos and decide which surgeon can give the results you desire.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Consider thigh lift for loose skin of the thighs

+1

If there is loose skin of the thighs then your only alternative will be a thigh lift.  If you can grab the skin in your hand and pull it up then you would be a good candidate for the procedure. 

A thigh lift vs alternatives- A thigh lift will most likely be the most effective

+1

SukO,

Many women who experience weight gain and wish to alleviate excess fat usually have two options after diet and exercise- liposuction or surgical removal of skin and fatty tissue.  This is true whether the target area is the abdomen, thighs, or arms.  

Having already undergone liposuction and seemingly being more dissatisfied than ever, I would advise that a thigh lift would be the most feasible option for you to remove not only excess fatty tissue from the original weight gain, but also skin that is sagging due to your skin lacking elasticity. 

A thigh lift will tighten the appearance of your upper legs and smooth the previously saggy areas of the inner thigh.  You must take in to consideration that scars on the inner leg will replace the sagging skin.  Many patients of mine however, find it a more than reasonable trade.  Follow up laser treatments on the scarring also further reduce the scars appearance and overall very good results are possible.  

Alternatives include wraps,  and specific strength training that targets your thighs and gluts.  If you have already tried these methods a thigh lift be the best option for you.  Please keep in mind, I would advise you to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are in a fact a good candidate for this procedure. 

Hope this helps~

Dr. Michael K. Obeng

Beverly Hills, CA

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Thigh Lift for Loose Skin

+1

Dear SuKo,

Loose skin of the thighs can be treated in three ways:

1. External skin tightening using radiofrequency or ultrasound (eg. Exilis, Ultherapy, etc.).

PROS: External skin tightening does not require surgery and is often associated with no downtime.

CONS: Results are typically very modest. There is a chance of having minimal improvement, although some patients have tremendous improvement. May require multiple treatments. Treatments may be uncomfortable.

2. Internal skin tightening using laser or radiofrequency (eg. Smartlipo, Cellusmooth, Cellulaze, ThermiRF).

PROS: Minimally invasive. Can be performed with local anesthesia. Results may be more significant than external tightening treatments.

CONS: Results are often still modest, particularly if you have a significant amount of loose skin. There is a chance of having minimal improvement, although some patients have tremendous improvement. A short recovery period is required including swelling, bruising, and limited activity.

3. Thigh lift surgery.

PROS: The only consistent means to lift and tighten the thighs in an effective and long lasting fashion if there is significant looseness of the skin. Results are much more dramatic compared to external skin tightening or internal skin tightening.

CONS: A thigh lift is real surgery with a recovery period of 1-2 weeks including swelling, bruising, and limited activity. There will be scars. There is a small risk of complications such as bleeding, infection, delaying healing, etc.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs the full spectrum of body contouring treatments including external skin tightening, internal skin tightening, and surgical lift procedures for an evaluation.

Be wary of providers who overpromise nonsurgical skin tightening and lifting treatments.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD