Would I Need a Hip to Hip Scar? (photo)

I had a consultation a couple of weeks back initially for a breast augmentation, surgery is set for next week on June 13th. I am currently second guessing the breast augmentation and thinking of swapping it for a tummy tuck. (was going to do TT next year) I had asked a few questions regarding the tummy tuck to the surgeon and he mentioned he would just extend my exisiting c-sec scar about an inch on each side, and no hip to hip scar is required. May I have additional thoughts on this?

The amount of skin to to be removed at the time of abdominoplasty dictates the length of the scar.

+1

The more skin of the surgeon takes out the longer the incision has to be. There is a sizable amount of redundant skin in the photograph shown which means the incision will be across most of the anterior abdomen.

Would I Need a Hip to Hip Scar?

+1

An incision barely longer than the c-section would compromise the outcome, and would be a poor trade-off in my opinion. The incision when well planned will be covered by swimwear or underwear, and a full incision will allow for a complete abdominoplasty and a nice result. 

All the best. 

Will my TT scar be from hip to hip?

+1

From your photos, it looks like you would benefit from a full TT extending your c-section scar (at the minimum) an inch on each side.  Your surgeon would know the best as he/she can do a physical exam but you are a good candidate for a TT and should have a nice result! ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hip to Hip Scar?

+1

Your best result will come from a full liposuction abdominoplasty. You will need the hip to hip scar. The scars will fade with time, but will not go away completely. Enjoy your new flat tummy!

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

A longer scar will likely be worth the over result

+1

In my opinion, you need a full tummy tuck to get the nicest result and that would require a hip to hip scar.  It is a mistake to sacrifice a really nice shape just to decrease the length of the scar.  The scar will likely fade with time and should be covered by 90% of the lingerie or swimwear a lovely young mom should be wearing!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Tummy tuck scar

+1

You will indeed need the scar going from hip to hip. You have to have a full tummy tuck and there is too much loose skin to try to get away with a shorter scar. Trying to use a short scar will result in dog ears requiring a second procedure. Also you are not a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. Go for a full tummy tuck and you will get a great result!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Abdominoplasty, scars, and good results

+1

abdominoplasty, scars, and good result

• to remove enough skin,  the incision needs to be of adequate    length
  • if done well..  the incision should heal relatively narrow the trade off of a flat tummy is well worth it

Incision Length for a Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your photographs.  You would at least need that additional length.  The best way to determine scar length and position is from an examination. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Scar length and tummy tuck

+1

From your photos, and without being able to directly examine your abdomen, it is difficult  to say exactly how long your abdominoplasty scar would need to be.  That said, I would advise that you have your surgeon mark the length of the incision he/she is proposing prior to your surgery date.  Also ask if they are planning a full tummy tuck (extending above the belly button) or a mini tummy tuck (which would only improve the contour below the belly button).  Remember, the shorter the incision is, the less vertical height of skin can be removed.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Length of scar

+1

Although it is difficult to determine without personally examining you, it does seem that it would be necessary to extend the scar towards your hips to ensure removal of the lex skin and an aesthetically pleasing result.

David A. Lickstein, MD