How Do I Decide a Size? (photo)

My augmentation is scheduled for 4/18 and I still don't know what size to get! I'm 5'8" 156 pounds, with an athletic body type. My goal is to have full breasts with cleavage. My ps recommends a 450cc implant filled to 480cc with saline. I totally trust him but don't want to look ridiculously huge. I've looked at plenty of pictures however its hard to get an idea without seeing how it they'd look with clothes. Can you recommend a site with clothed pictures? What size would you recommend? HELP!

Implant size

+1

Common issue. First, if the implant base diameter matches your breast diameter, you will almost always look "natural."  Secondly, see if your surgeon has implant sizers you can place beneath your bra.  This is highly accurate if done properly.  Thirdly, you are a good candidate for implants to be placed over your muscle if you wish.  This allows you to achieve the same result as under the muscle, but you can use a slightly smaller (less heavy) implant. You will be happy with your results whatever size you use.  Also, don't ignore your size assymetry.  You will most likely require a smaller implant on your larger right side.   

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Your breast number is best forgotten

+1

Trying to decide your breast number is a hazard for the inexperienced. Focus instead on how you wish to look in clothes, not how the 450cc implant will look. Your surgeon should know your "look" well and make the number his responsibility.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

The best breast implant size depends on your measurements

+1

The most important factor in determining what size implant to get is how wide your breast width is.  After this it is important to know what kind of look you want and approximately how big you would like to be.  It is better to know how big by using sizers in your bra in the office and not using cup size.  Cup size is like dress size.  There is no standard to these measurements and it is much better to know the volume in cc's.  Your plastic surgeon can advise you well knowing your measurements.  Also there is little difference between 50cc or less.  I usually advise people if there are deciding between 2 sizes and they are only 50cc difference they would in general be happier with the bigger size.  If they are deciding between implants that are 100cc or more difference then the measurements need to be considered carefully.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerysocal.com/BreastAugmentationBreastImplants.htm

Breast Implant Size

+1

I have my patients do the "rice test" to help determine size. To do the rice test, take uncooked rice and place in a nylon stocking and tie a knot loose enough for the rice to move around. Place in your bra adjusting around your breasts.

A cup of dry rice represents 250 cc of volume. One may add to this volume in small increments to the desired size. One might try 1 cup, 1¼ cups, 1½ cups, 1¾ cups,  until the desired breast volume is achieved. Then try on different clothes such as a tight fitting T-shirt, low cut tops to see how you like the look. Patients who have used this method have a high satisfaction rate with the implant size they ultimately chose. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/enlargement_faq.html

How Do I Decide a Size?

+1

450 cc saline HP implants filled to 480 cc may work well for you.   If the implant fits your chest wall measurements you will be fine.  As far as overall size, you should make that decision based upon placing sizers in the office.  If you are unsure, you can always schedule another appointment before the date of the surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-photo-galleries.php

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to provide you with  specific advice. The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C cup” or "full breasts with cleavage"etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I would also suggest, given that your surgery date is coming up soon, that you request additional time ( prior to surgery date) to spend communicating your goals with your plastic surgeon.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Implant Size Selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system
Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.
Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

How Do I Decide a Size?

+1

My preference is sizing is to have patients try on implants, and I use that info along with anatomic factors, in choosing the right implant. 

I do note that your surgeon will properly center the implants on the nipples and areolas, and that there may be less cleavage than you would like. There is some asymmetry in the before photos and the differences may be more noticeable with larger breasts. 

Discuss sizing again before the day of surgery since you do not seem settled with the decision. All the best.  

Choosing implants

+1

Hello. The most important factors for determining the size of implants that could be used on a patient include width of the base of the breast, the size of your thorax and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have. Once a surgeon has this information he could better educate you on what type of implants would work best for you.
Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/breast-augmentation-7001