28-year-old with a receding chin. Would chin implants improve my profile better than braces? What size would be ideal? (Photo)

I have short and receding chin, dentist said I need to remove 4 teeth and wear braces for about 2 years. But I am thinking about chin implant. I am seeking professional advice here: am I a good candidate for chin implant or should I listen to my dentist? Would chin implant improve my profile better than wearing braces? If I go for chin implant, what size would be ideal for me? (I consulted a doctor and he said I need big size, like 1 cm). Many thanks for sharing your opinion.

Solution for Receding Chin

+1
Based from your photos, you have a significant degree of receding chin (profile view) with relatively wide zygomatic (malar) bone on the front view.

On my opinion, a thick implant with forward and a little bit downward projection with extended arm design is what you need to balance out your facial features. Nevertheless, in my service, I make sure I have several other implant sizes and designs available on hand to make sure the patients gets the best result and in case intra-operative adjustment is needed.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible chin augmentation candidate

+1
Dear Apple0101, As many of the other surgeons have stated braces will not correct the complaints you state above regarding your profile. A chin augmentation will greatly improve your profile. Sizing is done in person and varies on the different implant choices and varieties that different surgeons prefer. I would get a second dental opinion before having any teeth removed and planning on braces for two years unless you are having serious bite issues. Regardless of the bite issues the braces will not help the receding chin. Your options are chin augmentation via an implant or genioplasty. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Braces or implant

+1
PLEASE do not have braces to advance your chin. It will not work.
You look as though you need either a chin implant, an advancement genioplasty or possibly a mandibular advancement (if you have significant mal-alignment of the teeth.) See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Braces vs chin implant

+1
Braces will not change your chin position unless jaw surgery advancement is planned with the orthodontics.  Your photos reveal significant chin recession and you can improve this with either a chin implant or advancement genioplasty.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

28-year-old with a receding chin. Would chin implants improve my profile better than braces?

+1
Yes, you absolutely would benefit from a chin implant.  Braces will not achieve the goal you are looking for.  If you place your finger from your lip straight down, your chin should be very close to your finger.  You chin is very far back.  A chin implant will balance the lower half of your face.

Braces versus chin implant

+1
orthodontic work or braces probably will not help you reach the goal that you have in mind.  I really like the shape of her face from the front view, it is very oval and tapered towards the chin.  I would probably recommend something like a medium or even a large depending on what your examination showed and make sure that the front or tip of the chin implant was nicely tapered to maintain the "V-shaped" or oval shaped tear face that is so attractive.  The orthodontic work that you may or may not have done may help the overall appearance of everything but would not appreciably advance your jaw or chin to create a look that you desire.

You may also be a good candidate for a genioplasty which involves incisions inside the mouth and actual cuts in the jaw bone itself around the chin area to remove that segment of the mandible forward.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

28-year-old with a receding chin. Would chin implants improve my profile better than braces? What size would be ideal?

+1
Great questions but NOT for via the internet. IN PERSON examination, X-rays, measurements are needed to determine best sized chin implant. Not only for shape but size... 

Chin implant candidate versus orthodontic braces

+1
 Orthodontic braces are used to straighten your teeth and will not have any appreciable effect on your weak chin profile. To augment your weak chin profile, a chin implant is inserted through sub mental incision  and is placed  over the bone  to give cosmetic improvement. The chin implant will not have any bearing on your  dentition. For many examples, please see the links below

+1
You are a good candidate for a chin implant. To determine the size and contour an exam would be required. Wearing braces does not perform the same function as a chin implant. You should do both. The sequence would be determined by your plastic surgeon and dentist together in consultation. 

The face is divided into thirds. The first third extends from the hairline to eye level. The second from eye level to the upper lip and the lower third from the upper lip to the chin. What we look for is a harmonious profile, that is a balanced profile. Sometimes all that it takes is rhinoplasty, sometimes a rhinoplasty with chin implant and sometimes just a chin implant. This seems to be the case with you. I perform all of my chin implants through a buccal incision, that is....through the inside of the lower lip. I prefer this approach because all too often I have seen chin implants displaced downward when the incision has been made under the chin.There are many surgeons that are very successful with this method and as for me, it's a matter of personal preference.

I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they are certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery and have years of experience in performing chin implants. Furthermore, request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits? Good luck.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Chin Augmentation OR Orthognathic Surgery

+1
You describe the treatment plan from your dentist as an extraction of teeth and a period of braces. By extracting teeth from your upper and lower jaw it will allow the dentist to retrude (bring back) and retrocline (tilt back) the teeth, improve balance between the upper and lower dentition and give some improvement of your facial balance. Overall though, from your images, your chin will likely remain recessed and require some form of augmentation. Generally as we age, our facial bones recede. I prefer to augment and protrude the facial skeleton where appropriate, as it tends to have less ageing effects on the face. If your dentist is planning for extraction of teeth, a period of braces and orthognathic surgery (moving the lower jaw bone forward) then this is a very powerful way to improve both the way the upper and lower teeth meet and also your facial balance and chin position. This is a significantly more involved treatment plan but can result in very dramatic and long-term facial changes. The main reason to consider this option is if you have a bad occlusion (your upper and lower teeth do not meet correctly). Long-term abnormal occlusions can lead to jaw pain and abnormal wear patterns for the teeth. Chin augmentation alone is very reasonable to consider if your occlusion is satisfactory. A chin augmentation can be done with either an implant or an osseous genioplasty (using your own bone). A chin implant is the simplest treatment plan and can also be reversed (removed) relatively simply. An osseous genioplasty involves moving the chin portion of your lower jawbone forward and has the benefit of utilizing your own bone rather than an implant – it is less easily reversed but often a good procedure to consider for a younger patient. If you decide on a chin implant then clinical examination and cephalometric analysis will help with your decision on size. My advice would be to get a further opinion from a Plastic Surgeon trained in Craniofacial Surgery. A sound opinion requires a face-to-face consultation. Good luck. Regards, Dr Guy Watts

Guy Watts, MBBS (Hons), FRACS (Plast)
Australia Plastic Surgeon