Crescent Lift or Full Lift? (photo)

Hi,Im a mother of 4,Im 34 years old and looking at getting my breast back.I have saggy 34c with strech marks.Ive seen 2PS and both had different way on doing the augmentation.One said I would need a full lift and the other one said he would do a crescent lift.I like the the sound of a crescent lift,but not sure if I will get the full look that I want .If I go with a crescent lift and its not the look I want can I go back and get a full lift or is it more cost efficient one way or the other.Dcup

Type of Breast Lift to Achieve Goals?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although it may sound attractive to patients, the "crescent” breast lift is rarely indicated, achieves very little, and  potentially leaves patients with distorted/elongated areola.

In order to achieve the shape/lift  that your goal picture demonstrates, a full breast lift will be necessary. The operation will likely involve incisions around the areola as well as vertically oriented ('vertical mastopexy"). The trade-off typically seen with breast lifting is improvement in breast position/shape versus the  presence of scars. Whether to proceed with the surgery  becomes a very personal decision that should be made after weighing the pros and cons carefully. 

I hope this, and the attached, helps.

Crescent Lift or Full Lift?

+2

The idea of doing a crescent lift on a patient with this much ptosis (sag) is a poor one, and I would look elsewhere. A cresent lift will give a trivial (<1cm) amount of lift. so little that it is rarely done by experienced surgeons. With a crescent or for that matter a peri-areolar lift, chances are that your appearance will be of your own breast tissue hanging off the implant, and the only solution will be a proper lift. 

All the best 

Best options is a breast lift

+1

The ideal procedure for you would be a breast lift, most likely a vertical type.   There is too much breast tissue below the inframammary crease for any other procedure.  A crescent mastopexy is just for very minor areolar height asymmetries.

Avoid crescent lift and full lift

+1

Neither the crescent lift nor the full lift will give you the result desired.  The crescent lift is incapable of moving the breast tissue that high and the full lift will result in an ugly vertical scar that is unacceptable.  You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall will give maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Smaller implants will descend less, are more stable long term and less likely to require revision.  At size 34 C, each 100 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Crescent or Full Breast Lift

+1

There are different techniques used to perform breast lift procedures or mastopexy procedures.  These methods include, inverted T, vertical , periareolar and crescent mastopexy.  Crescent and periareolar are very limited techniques.  An evaluation by your plastic surgeon will determine your options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

What type of lift

+1

I agree with the other surgeons.  Get a full lift done.  The crescent lift almost always is a dissappointment.  In plastic surgery, there is no short cut to a good result!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Crescent Lift or Full Lift?

+1

Thank you for your question.  The goal appearance you desire for your breasts would require much more than a crescent lift.  Notice that your nipple location is at the bottom of your breast.  In order to achieve your goal requires that the breast tissue and nipple are relocated to a much higher position.  A crescent lift often results in a widened scar at the top portion of your nipple resulting in an elongated nipple and really doesn't reposition your breast tissue.  A vertical lift (AKA vertical mastopexy) or wise pattern mastopexy repostions your tissue providing an improved shape and works well with a breast implant.  Either of the latter two mastopexy types would be my recommendation for you. 

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Beware the Crescent breast lift

+1

Thanks for the photos.  There is no way a crescent lift will get you anywhere near your desired look.  It will only make doing a full breast lift more difficult to fix the lousy result of the crescent lift. 

Also, if the picture on the right is your goal, I really think you need to revisit your expectations.  The woman on the right is probably about 19 (and airbrushed), not a 34 year old mother of four!

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Crescent "lifts" vs. true breast lifts

+1

A so-called "crescent lift" is a procedure still seeking a reason or justification. It does not lift the breast and often doesn't even leave the areolar perimeter looking normal. It is totally inappropriate in significant ptosis. 

I would add that the picture of results does not look realistic and this is a good example of where the appropriate procedure is probably a real lift (mastopexy) alone done through a lollipop incision and then see if an augmentation is still needed/wanted. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a full lift?

+1

From your photos, it looks like you will need a full lift.  A crescent lift will only move your areolas up about 1-2 cm and will not give you what you are looking for.  As for cost efficiency, in your situation, it would not benefit you to wait to see if the crescent lift will work because I don't expect it to be what you are hoping to achieve. Perhaps to to another consultation with a board certifiec plastic surgeon? ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon