How to Take Care of my Opening Incision After Tummy Tuck?

I had my Tummy tuck surgery May 1, 2013. How can I help my open incision?

Minor skin loss after abdominoplasty usually heals by itself but demands patience.

+1

The picture demonstrates loss of a small triangle of skin. With proper wound care that will be coordinated by your plastic surgeon this should heal uneventfully. However, it may take several weeks.

Tummy tuck incision

+1

Patience is the key.  These things happen.  I recommend regular washing with soap and water with twice daily dressing changes.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Care of my Opening Incision After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thanks for the question and the pictures.I dont think there is much to worry about.Keeping it dry and clean will sort it out by itself in time as suggested by other surgeons.It takes time and therefore be patient and avoid garments with friction over it so that the echcar ( dead and dried skin and fat ) stays put as long as possible.wish you good luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Care for wound healing problem after an abdominoplasty

+1

You have some degree of marginal necrosis due to lack of blood supply.  The black scab is called an escar.  This will separate on its own in about 6 weeks.  Then the area will granulate and eventually heal.  During this process it is best to keep the area clean and dry.  Wash twice a day with soap and water.  It is possible that at any point you could develop an invasive infection.  If you develop a fever or redness and purulent drainage you will need to be debrided and started on antibiotics. 

Care for Opening Incision Line after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Best to keep the area clean and dry.  As I recall, your surgery was done in Mexico (you are far away from your  plastic surgeon).  I would suggest that you leave the “scab” on as long as possible,  as it is acting like a biological Band-Aid protecting the underlying tissues. Do not be surprised if as the scab lifts, there is a little yellow drainage.  At that point, use of a topical antibiotic ( assuming no allergy) and a nonstick dressing may be helpful to you.

At some point, you may wish to establish a relationship with a plastic surgeon  in your local area.