Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty or Surgical Rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I'm unsure of whether to get rhinoplasty or the non-surgical rhinoplasty. I feel like my nose is too big for my face but I really have issues with the tip of my nose. I think its too big. I don't want to necessarily have my nostrils narrowed because I don't think that ever looks natural on African Americans but I would like more definition at the tip. Which is the best option for me?

Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty or Surgical Rhinoplasty?

Dear ChocDrop, thank you for your question.Rhinoplasty is a popular procedure that can dramatically change one's appearance. In our San Diego practice we perform computer imaging to determine what may be possible in your case. Actual before and after photos are a good way to evaluate your surgeon.Good Luck!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip refinement will be best addressed with a rhinoplasty.  This can be done in closed fashion so that you do not have any visible scars.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Rhinoplasty

A rhinoplasty is permanent and if you want the nose to be narrowed this is the best way to accomplish that goal.

Surgical rhinoplasty for the African American large nose.

Having done this surgery for 35 years I can tell you NOT to have fillers. Your nose is large and surgery can thin the thick skin of your nose, etc. to give you a more attractive nose. 

Basically, a non-surgical rhinoplasty will give added volume to some part of the nose or to smooth out irregularities.  The rhinoplasty you need is a closed rhinoplasty to thin and refine the nose.  A tip-plasty will thin the tip of the nose and give you an overall smaller nose.

Best African American Rhinoplasty

Hi Choc,

A reduction rhinoplasty is your best choice.  Non-surgical rhinoplasty, the injection of filler into your nose will only add volume to your already large nose.  Make sure that you take the time and effort to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical vs. Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the pics. Generally speaking, non-surgical rhinoplasty is used to make a small nose bigger, or to add a little bit in a strategic place to give a smoother overall appearance of the nose.  For patients who have a nose that is too large for the rest of their features, non-surgical rhinoplasty is not the best option.  In your case, to make the nose smaller would involve some reduction and reshaping of the tip cartilages, and likely some thinning of the fatty connective tissues in the tip of the nose.  This is best accomplished, in my opinion, with an open rhinoplasty approach.  Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical versus nonsurgical rhinoplasty

aside from augmenting the bridge of ear nose don't think nonsurgical rhinoplasty will give you the effects that you're looking for.  That being said, he should see a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is familiar with door type of anatomy and skin and performs African-American rhinoplasty regularly.

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery

Thank you for the photos.  I would go on consults and have the surgeons take your photo digitally with your input until you see the result you are looking for.  Assuming that result is realistic, ask the surgeon how he would accomplish it

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS