I had upper eyelid surgery exactly one month ago. One of my eyes has a bump on the incision line. Is this normal?

My eyelids are still red but my main concern is that one has a bump on the incision line. I hope that could still resolve and is not a scar. I know what a scar should look like when healing and this is a noticeable bump. Since it has been a month I hope it still might disappear The doctor used dissolvable sutures vikril 6-0.

Bump on blepharoplasty incision

+1
This is not uncommon for a few months after an eyelid incision. It can be a milia(plugged oil gland along incision) or remnants of an absorbable suture. It usually dissipates by itself or can easily be extracted. Your patience will be rewarded. 

Treating a small bump on incision line after blepharoplasty

+1
Dear 2 rocket

• Sounds like the vicryl suture is dissolving and has some inflammation
  • This is a common reaction the body makes, as it "dissolves" the suture, 
  • but you should show your surgeon.
  • On occasion, milia form on the incision lines and can be observed or treated. 
Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps along upper eyelid incision one month after surgery

+1
You can have bumps along the incision line that can take a few months to go away. It a 'common' occurrence and nothing to be alarmed about. I would return to get an evaluation with your surgeon and he/she may suggest to wait, which is completely reasonable as the full healing takes a few months, or may intervene by removing the bump- it all depends on what the examination shows. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Eyelid surgery

+1
The "bump" may be from many causes.  It is not unusual to have slightly swollen incision line.  there could also be other causes.  I recommend going back to your surgeon and having it evaluated.  It does not sound like an infectious process.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

+1
What you are experiencing is typically not serious, not common, but also not uncommon.  More than likely it is a simple skin (epithelial) cyst that can easily be removed by your surgeon during a follow up visit.  Less likely, but possible since dissolvable sutures were used, a small fragment from the suture, if so this is anorher issue that can easily be corrected during a follow up visit.

Timothy R. Miller, MD