Will High Profile Fits Better?

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op, I am 5 ft 4in , weigh 103 lbs. I had mentor gel 325cc moderate plus. I do not like it all, it has very little projection, I know and understand it needs months to 'settle', but every day I am depressed and it effects my daily life. I have checked mentor 325cc mod + has 12.3cm diameter and 3.8cm profection. I really wanted 400cc Hp, it has 12.2cm diameter and 5.0cm projection. Since I am already fitted into 12.3cm diameter, do you think I can fit into 400cc Hp ok?  I really hate the way they are now, both pics are post ops.

High Profile vs. Moderate Profile?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Your line of reasoning is correct in that, given your situation, you should be able to “fit” 400 cc high profile breast implants without difficulty. However, as I'm sure you have heard, it would be in your best interest to give yourself several months ( six-month to one-year), before making a final decision about the need for additional surgery.

Choice of type of profile of breast implant is somewhat complicated.

+1

I think either of your choices is suitable although it is dependent upon measurements of the chest wall. I think high profile implants tend to look little bit artificial anyway.

Unhappy Breast Augmentation Result

+1

Your line of thinking is correct, and the change would probably give you the desired projection.  However, your photos indicate that your current implants are still riding high, and the lower poles of your breasts have not filled out. You are in 'no man's land' with regard to timing, and should not immediately proceed with a revision, as the larger, more projecting implant may not sit or fit the way you or your surgeon might hope.   It's best to sit tight, be patient, and plan for a revision in 3 to 6 months.  You look like you will heal into a very good result, that will be easy (and perhaps some surgeons might argue fool hardy) to revise.

On the other hand, your current implants look like they have completely filled your breast envelope, and from a dimensional stand point you should not go larger.  Keep in mind that these implants are going to thin and stretch your tissues; this is how implants 'drop'. Once this has occurred, check to see how thick your tissues are that cover your implants. Will you have rippling? Moving toward a larger, more projecting implant will make your tissues stretch and thin even more, and perhaps in an unpredictable fashion, change the shape of your breasts or position of one or both implants. Problems of this nature are difficult or impossible to completely correct.  

Remember, you and your implants have a long life ahead of you.  If you are of the mind set of minimizing revision surgeries, as most people are, you should consider keeping your current implants. If you are of the mindset that frequent or regular revision surgeries are an acceptable cost of having large implants, then proceed with your revision augmentation.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Replacing breast implants with a different size or shape

+1

Although a patient can always replace a breast implant with one of another size or shape, I would advise caution before proceeding with another surgery.  First, from your photos, it appears you have had a reasonably good result and haven't had a complication.   Your are correct, that it can take several months for the breast tissue to stretch and settle and, in that time, you may be surprised to find that you like your present implants.  Also, remember that although the implant you are interested in may have a greater projection, the limitation of your own tissue to stretch may not result in the the amount of projection gain you are hoping for.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, but do not rush into another surgery without considering the risks and limitations.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Smaller Than Expected After Augmentation

+1

So many things in modern life move at the speed of electricity, that waiting 9 months to 1 year for breast implants to finish dropping can seem impossibly long. You have invested significant time, energy and money in your augmentation, and I urge you to give it the required full year of recovery time to reach its final shape before considering a revision. As more of the implant falls to below the nipple, the breast often looks progressively larger as the first year of recovery continues. That said, you have clearly researched well. If you are still dissatisfied at 1 year postop, switching to high profile implants with the same base diameter as your current implants would be an excellent strategy for increasing your breast size while preserving a very natural look the fits your ribcage very well.   

John J. Seaberg, MD, FACS
Columbia Plastic Surgeon