My congenital short nose got worse after Rhinoplasty surgery. 4 months post op, shouldn't the nose look better at this stage?

Hi I'm a 25 yo asian male with a congenital short nose (nasolabial angle 120 degrees) and thick skin. I had a primary rhino which involved a septal extension graft using septal cartilage and this was reinforced with ear cartilage. 4 months post op the nose looks even more upturn (135 degrees) and far too much nostril is showing. The surgeon says it is due to tip swelling. However, shouldn't the nose look better than pre-op at this stage of healing as cartilage was added rather than removed?

Foreshortened nose

+1
I am sorry to hear of your concerns but no photos were submitted to evaluate your situation.  ThT said express your concerns to your surgeon or go for an in person second opinion

Dr Corbin

Brea Plastic Surgeon

The nose too short after rhinoplasty will not get longer.

+1
Without a photograph it's impossible to comment on your particular situation. However, a foreshortened nose after rhinoplasty will not improve with time.

Rhinoplasty for a short nose

+1
Dear andy1989,

• You are still in the healing process, and have a little more to go before considering doing anything else
  • If the nose is getting shorter and the tip is rotating more and more as you heal, this can be concerning because the forces of healing may be pulling it back
  • If it is getting better (even slightly) then you are on the right track
  • Just look for the patterns to see if you are headed in the right direction, it sounds like your surgeon did the correct maneuvers

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Nasal surgery takes patience

+1
You should be fine with time, but healing in the short nose is a long process.   As the lymphatics begin to function swelling will decrease and your nose will descend.   I have seen this series of events in other patients and time corrects all.   Remember healing takes a full year.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon