Can a compression garment cause burns right after power assisted liposuction or tumescent liposuction?

I have seen plenty of women get liposuction and have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns, is it true they are caused by the compression garment or is this the surgeons technique? Whoever answers this question, is it normal to have burns from PAL or tumescent lipo, in your experience? Is this under the signed consent?

#postliposuctiondefects

+2
skin burns seen immediately after liposuction are usually a result of the heat from laser-assisted liposuction. power-assisted liposuction if its performed by vibration cannulas is highly unlikely to cause any burns. in very rare instances one can be severely allergic to the compression garment and can have an allergic reaction to the garment but that will appear first as a wide-spread rash and can lead to blistering contact dermatitis. consult your doctor who did the surgery for immediate care

Compression garment will help with swelling

+1
After having your Smartlipo procedure it is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions on wearing the compression garment. Typically this should be worn between 1 to 3 weeks. The compression garment is to help control any swelling that may occur post procedure, if you feel as though you are burned please make a follow up appointment immediately. Good luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Burns from the actual laser liposuction should not occur.

+1
I have done over 5000 laser tumescent liposuction procedures over the years.  I have never had a patient to have had a burn from the actual procedure itself.  Sometimes skin irritations may be caused by surgical tape or the compression garment.

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

Burns after liposuction is mostly seen when a power source, mainly laser, little ultrasound can cause skin burns. That is the problem we see when adding power source in unqualified hands.

Compression garments when very tight can cause vascular compromise. also fold in the compression garment can cause vascular compromise and blistering or even skin loss.

Samir Shureih MD. FACS

sshureih@msn.com