Breathing After Septoplasty + Rhinoplasty?

Hi! I got Septoplasty + Rhinoplasty done last August. I noticed that in my left nostril, I can't breathe as well as my right. I always did have issues with this left nostril in terms of breathing and Septoplasty should have improved that. I find my left nostril to be stuffy almost all the time, and gets worse at night. Also when I breathe in heavily, it makes a weird noise. I have mentioned it to my doctor and he stated that the septum is still deviated but he doesn't need to re-operate. Help!

Breathing Is A Big Deal After Rhinoplasty

+1

Breathing is one of the things that needs to be treated with finesse during a septoplasty/rhinoplasty combination surgery. Yes, the septoplasty should help improve the breathing, but the rhinoplasty often makes the nose smaller, making breathing more difficult. The airway itself does need to be addressed during any rhinoplasty surgery. A residual septal deviation, turbinate hypertrophy, or weakened tip cartilages (from the cosmetic part of the rhionoplasty) may also be causing the breathing issue. If you surgeon doesn't think the breathing issues are a gig deal, you need to find a surgeon who does. Look for a facial plastic surgeon experienced in both cosmetic and functional (ie breathing related) rhinoplasty. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like you may benefit from a revision surgery

+1

If your septum is still deviated and causing obstructive symptoms, revision surgery to straighten the septum may help. In addition, the night time worsening of your nasal congestion is usually a turbinate issue which should be addressed as well, if you decide to undergo surgery again. Thank you for sharing your concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD