After FL and Blepharplasty Quad, Post Op 3 Months, Left with Small Hard Bumps?

Any treatments used for these hard bumps to flatten or dissolve? Do injections of steroids help? What can be done?They are @ outside corners of eyes, corners of mouth and on scalp on incision line.

Bumps 3 months after Facelift & Blepharoplasty can be improved

+5

Thank you for your question.It is not uncommon to have small areas of firmness  along the incision lines following facelift and blepharoplasty.  First the certain to see her surgeon to make certain  that these bumps are simply scar tissue and not a suture that needs to be removed or an infection.

This early in recovery simple warm soaks and massage can be quite helpful to reduce small bumps along the suture lines.

if scar tissue persists the best treatment in my opinion is the 1540 non-ablative erbium laser treatments.I avoid the use of steroid injections such as triamcinolone because these steroid injections can cause fat atrophy, the appearance of dilated blood vessels on the skin, and widening of the scar.

Be sure to consult her surgeon.

Bumps after face lift and blepharoplasty

+2

Thank you for asking about the bumps left by your face lift and blepharoplasty 3 months ago. After a face lift and blepharoplasty, little bumps are common from -

1. scar - here injections help.
  2. deep sutures - these may subside or surface and be removed.
  3. tiny cysts caused by sutures - these can be removed with magnification.
  4. Ask your face lift surgeon to check and see what can be done. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Most incision line bumps will resolve after facelift without specific treatment.

+2

Small lumps are not uncommon after the surgery you describe. Steroids are occasionally indicated but one has to remember that there can be negative consequences. As long as the trend is favorable I suggest you leave things alone.

Treatment of scar tissue formation after facelift and blepharoplasty

+2

Hard bumps that develop as a result of scar tissue formation can reasonably be treated with serial injections of 5-fluourouracil and kenalog.  This combination is effective at softening and flattening scars and improving their appearance.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Facelift post-operative course

+2

Dear JWOLFE,

1. These could be dissolvable sutures, or some scar tissue that may be present
  2. Please bring these issues up with your surgeon who would be best equipped to handle them

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Hard bumps after facelift and quad bleph

+2

The outer corners of the lower lid portion of the quad bleph frequently has some firmness, because the underlying orbicularis oculi muscle requires cauterizing to control bleeding points.  Ask your PS' opinion on whether gentle massage +/- warm compresses may be useful.  Remember all scars undergo an obligatory phase of remodeling, wherein  immature collagen, which is bulky and often pink eventually becomes flatter and whiter.  

Occasionally an absorbable suture knot will produce a painful bump, which can drain blood and pus.  This is a "stitch abscess", which doesn't require anything more than clipping the knot and removing the offending foreign body.  Additionally, hair follicles may also erupt in the line of the scar, causing "folliculitis", which can be addressed by plucking the offending shaft.  These low tech solutions are often  all that's needed.  Be patient and check with your PS.  Good luck. 

Lavinia Chong, MD

Post Facelift, Blepharoplasty bumps

+2

It is hard to determine what these are caused by without a consultation and evaluation. I would see your surgeon asap for an evaluation and discuss your concerns. As the other surgeons below stated you may have some sort of dissolvable sutures there. I personally have not had the need to ever treat anyone with steroid injections for that purpose so I would be cautious before doing this. If after you see your surgeon and you feel unsure of the diagnosis a second opinion may be helpful. When doing and upper lid blepharoplasty it is important to take the eyelid sutures out very quickly so that you do not get small epitheleal cysts which look like small bumps where the sutures were. I am not sure if this is what you are experiencing in the eyelid area without an examination. I am sorry I can not be of more assistance at this time it is sometimes the unfortunate nature of internet questions without the advantage of a direct examination. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Bumps after facelift?

+2

Dear JWOLFE,

Thank you for your post.  You may have sutures that have not dissolved.  Follow up with your surgeon for assessment.  If this is were he placed sutures and they are dissolvable, then best to just let them dissolve with time. 

Best Wishes,

PAblo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after facelift

+2

i rarely see this is my patients so it is heard to answer this with a lot of experience.  in the rare cases this has happened time has bee the best cure.  in theory steroid injections might help, but i have never needed to do this for a facelift

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after facelift and blepharoplasty may be milia

+2

Hi JWOLFE.  Without pictures it is hard to give you an informed answer.  If the bumps are small, white and hard, they may be milia. Milia are small collections of protein which can sometimes arise along suture lines.  They can be easily removed.  I suggest you see your plastic surgeon to discuss the problem.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon