I had umbilical hernia repair 1 week ago, when is it safe for me to have Liposuction to my full abdomen?

Liposuction of the Abdomen After Hernia Repair

+2
My suggestion is the same as Dr. Hughes, wait 3-6 months before having any liposuction to this area.  Most people will say after 6 weeks you should be okay, and this may be true, but why put yourself at any risk.  Consulting your general surgeon may be helpful as well.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

+2
  Conventional wisdom is that scars are strong at 6 weeks, but 3 months may be more reasonable.

Liposuction after umbilical hernia repair.

+1
Repairing your umbilical hernia makes it much safer to do liposuction. You and your plastic surgeon should get the approval of your general surgeon before going ahead with the liposuction. If your scar and swelling have fully settled then it might be reasonable to go ahead as soon as 6 to 8 weeks after your hernia repair.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Amount of Time Between Hernia Repair and Liposuction

+1
Hello and thank you for your question. It would be best to discuss this with the surgeon who performed your hernia repair before you proceed with liposuction. You should also make the plastic surgeon you select aware of the recent repair. In my opinion somewhere between four and six weeks would be a safe time frame if you are healed from your hernia repair. Best wishes. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

POST UMBILICAL HERNAI REPAIR LIPOSUCTION

+1
Firstly, have a real plastic surgeon who also has general surgery training do your procedure.The time elapsed may be irrelevant as one should stay away from the hernia repair.So, the question of when is up to you. Also, the liposuction may reduce skin tension, and thus improve the umbilical scar. Best wishes and kind regards, Cap Lesesne

Cap Lesesne, MD