When Did E.N.T.'s Start Doing Rib Cartilage Harvesting for Revision Rhinoplasty?

About ten years ago you never heard of an e.n.t/facial plastic surgeon harvesting rib cartilage for grafting in the nose. I believe only general plastic surgeons performed such surgery. Did the medical college loosen any regulations that allowed for this or is this because rib cartilage grafts in nose are more commonly performed today & e.n.t.s/facial plastic surgeons now take extra accredited training courses?

Rib cartilage for revision rhinoplasty

+2

A good historical question; see previous answers that otolaryngologists and facial plastic surgeons have indeed been harvesting rib for some time.  I have a busy revision rhinoplasty practice, and rarely use autogenous rib.  Most of the time septal or ear cartilage, and sometimes cadaver rib suffice.  We also have seen an uptrend for nonsurgical rhinoplasty (restylane, perlane, radiesse to fill nasal defects) because of higher risks and costs of revision surgeries.

+2

Facial Plastic Surgeons have been harvesting rib cartilage for grafting use in Rhinoplasty for well over 25 years IMHO.  It's not my first choice for grafting material in Rhinoplasty as it has a tendency to absorb unevenly over time creating irregular contours in the nose.  Hope this helps.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+2

This is a good question.

The previous responses are correct. Otolaryngologists who do Rhinoplasty were using Autogenous Rib grafts when I was in Med School in the 70's. I have been using rib cartilage since 1976. 

Richard W. Maloney, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage for rhinoplasty

+2

Both facial plastic surgeons and plastic surgeons perform rib grafts for nasal reconstruction.  Its very important to go to reconstructive/ Cosmetic rhinoplasty specialist who has extensive experience in noses.  Rib grafts are not used very often unless there is  reconstructive needs  that  are too extensive for nasal and  ear cartilage

ENT's and Rib Grafts

+1

The term ENT is a sort of slang for Otolaryngologist-Head and Neck Surgery, a regional surgical specialty of the head and neck.  Harvesting rib grafts is a basic technique for head and neck reconstruction, as it is for facial plastic surgery.  As for facial plastic surgery, the major influence on many techniques in modern plastic surgery was an Otolaryngologist named Sir Harold Delf Gillies.  Therefore, one could say that facial plastic surgeons (who are generally Otolaryngologists) "start" doing rib grafts when they start their training, just as general plastic surgeons do.  As far as rhinoplasty goes, a well trained and experienced facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon should suit your needs

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib Cartilage for Rhinoplasty

+1

Rib cartilage is a versatile material for nasal reconstruction and revision rhinoplasty.  ENT Surgeons and Plastic Surgeons alike harvest rib cartilage for nasal reconstruction and have done so for quite some time.  The real question is does your surgeon perform this procedure on a regular basis?  Experience counts a great deal when harvesting and using rib cartilage. 

Jay Calvert, MD