Losing Weight After a Face Lift Okay?

Hi there I just had a face/neck lift among other things. I lost 20 lbs before surgery and had 14 left to lose. Well after being sedentary,+ the blues I gained about 12 lbs back. I now have 26-30lbs to lose. The problem I have is that (I am 51) I am struggling with is that I am wondering if that will affect my results. If so, is the down time and cost the same? Do all people need revision in my situation.? When I lose weight it shows in my face. I am not going to get "skinny" just trim and toned.

Losing Weight After a Facelift?

+1

It likely will increase facial laxity with that amount of weight loss. 5-10 pounds ok, but more will likely affect your results. However, it is much more important to he healthy than worry about the face. You can always get touch up surgery.

Losing Weight After a Face Lift Okay?

+1

Losing weight after a facelift with cause you skin to be loose.  It is best to lose your weight before the surgery.  The patients that have the longer lasting facelift results are the patients who start off with a good bone structure, thin face and stable weight.  So try to select a reasonable weight goal before your surgery and maintain it.

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight After a Facelift

+1

Losing 10 to 15 pounds probably won't cause a noticeable difference but if you were to lose 20 pounds or more you could end up with loose skin as the volume decreases. Facial fillers or fat transfers could be done to restore volume. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Losing weight after a facelift

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

There is really no way to predict how much weight loss will effect the results of your surgery.  I tell my patients that they should really be within 10-15 lbs of their ideal weight before undergoing any plastic surgical procedure, but there are no absolutes and this is a guideline. My best advice is that you voice your concerns with your plastic surgeon and  together figure out the best plan for your weight loss and desired surgical outcome.

Best of luck you.

David Cangello, MD

Weight Loss & Facial Aging

+1
Thank you for your question.  Weight loss can cause facial aging due to volume loss. Having said that, you should continue to reach your weight loss and health goals. Once you have reached your goal weight,  you can then address any volume loss with either injectable fillers or fat transfer.  It is uncommon to have to repeat a face and neck lift for repeat laxity caused by modest weight loss. Best wishes on your recovery and fitness goals.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Facelift amd weight loss

+1

Lose the weight and see what happens. You seem to have little problem gaining weight and if your face changes unfavorably, you can put on some pounds again. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight after a face lift

+1

terrora, the best results are seen in patients who are within 10% of their ideal body weight before they have surgery. I then advise them to maintain this weight in possible. Losing or gaining over 10% of you weight will affect the result but no surgeon is going to tell you not to lose weight! You can always get a simple short flap lift under local later on. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after facelift

+1

Everyone is different in how weight loss wil affect their face.  It depends on you skin tone and genetics.  In most cases it does not require revision surgery and sometimes may enhance the result.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Losing weight after a facelift

+1

It's possible that the number one location you might notice a change with 30 pounds of weight loss would be your submental region directly under your chin.  It's possible that some of the bands of the platysma could become more visible once again.  You wouldn't necessarily need another procedure based on how much recurred.  If you tend to lose more volume in your cheeks secondary to weight loss I wouldn't suggest more surgery would help from a lifting standpoint but in that scenario, you'd benefit from a fat transfer.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight after a face lift

+1

Thank you for asking about losing weight after your face lift.

1. You should lose the weight you need to lose.
  2. Your facial skin may loosen a bit if you lose all 30 pounds.
  3. A redo face lift may be needed but of the skin only - 
  4. If you had a SMAS plication face lift or SMAS flap face lift, the skin surgery should be less involved than the first face lift - and might be possible in-office. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD