I;m just wondering if my back problems are due to my hanging belly? (photo)

I am 5'7" 156 lbs. Ive spent alot of money on all kinds of stuff to help my back, its not getting better! I cant seem to get heavier in my lifting at the gym as it feels like it will go out if I push it! Im so frustrated! If I lose 15 more lbs will my belly not hang so much or is surgery the only option? THANKS!

Back pain and tummy tucks

As much as we don't do tummy tucks for back pain, the tightening of the core muscles can help to give support to your lower back. Try wearing a compression belt. If this helps, a tummy tuck might be good as it pretty much does the same thing, only on the inside. Good luck!

Dr. Jeffrey E. Schreiber

Baltimore, Maryland

10807 Falls Rd
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093

Tummy question

I doubt it. You appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck so if that is in your budget please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

8720 Stony Point Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23235

Back problems

It is unlikely that excess abdominal skin would contribute to ongoing back problems. A strong core can help reduce back related issues.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

4031 Massillon Rd
Uniontown, OH 44685