Could This Neck Lump Be Fluid? (photo)

Hi I am 6 days post face/neck lift upper and lower eyes,,rhinoplasty,,dermabrasion to lip lines. I have a red lump on my neck which my PS says it is fluid and it will go away. I woke up thie morning in excruciating pain. Could this be the problem or is it likely something else? (It has been painful all along and not getting better)

Bruised lump on neck after facelift may be hematoma or blood

+3

Thank you for your question.  It is impossible to diagnose the lump based on a photograph.  It sounds like your plastic surgeon is following you carefully and you need to follow his or her advice.

Lumps like this after a facelift can simply be swelling, bruising, fluid, or a collection of blood called a hematoma.

If your surgeon feels this is a hematoma at your next visit he may choose to attempt to remove it with a small needle. However if it is hematoma and not removed it is small enough that it will go away most likely with massage.  Be sure to follow your surgeon's advice.

Lump in the neck after surgery

+3

Fluid accumulation after neck surgery is not uncommon and can be usually treated with drawing off of the fluid with a syringe. Redness, pain, and getting worse by the day or hour may mean something else such as an infection. Go and see your plastic surgeon. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Fluid in the neck after facelift should be drained.

+1

It looks as though there may be a fluid collection in the right side of your neck. This should be shown to your plastic surgeon. It can be drained easily in the office.

Hello Terrora

+1

As this was asked one month ago, I am sure the bump has already resolved on its own or been aspirated. if not, please ask your surgeon what the differential diagnosis might be. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS

Neck Lump and Pain?

+1

Dear Terrora,

Thank you for your post.  I don't see a lot of fluid.  I see your neck muscle, but no cause for concern to my eye at this point.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  If it gets worse call to see him earlier, if slowly improving, then continue on current path.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or fluid

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  The fullness that you have identified in the photo can be fluid or swelling.  Its right over your sternocleidomastoid muscle (neck muscle) and there is a small nerve in that vicinity that can cause pain if its disturbed.  Your plastic surgeon will guide you through this process.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Could This Neck Lump Be Fluid?

+1

The neck lump could be fluid.  There are any number of possibilities here that could be causing your pain.  Only an exam would be appropriate to sort this out.                                                                                                                                    Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                          Los Angeles, CA

Neck lump after surgery

+1

as you are only six days after your surgery, this lump can certainly represent fluid.  Medical terms such as hematoma or seroma likely may not mean anything to you.  But the good news is that it will likely resolve with patience and without treatment.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck bumps after facelifts

+1

There are a couple of things that will form swelling in your neck within the first post op week, including a small hematoma, a seroma, or irritation and/or focal thickening from some of the neck lifting anchor stitches.  The difference is pretty easy to work through in person, so I suspect your surgeon is correct in calling it fluid.  Most of those we simply aspirate once or twice to speed the resolution and they become more comfortable and get you back on a more expected recovery process.  By now you are two days after your post, so hopefully you have seen your surgeon by now and the issue is addressed.  If not, see him or her as soon as you can arrange.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump in neck after face and neck lift.

+1

It is possible that the lump that you have noticed is an area of fluid collection.  This is not unusual after a facelift and neck lift surgery.  If the pain and the lump persist  see your plastic surgeon.